1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke my Fisher Speedcast Push Plate: I am an idiot

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NHCraigT, Jan 18, 2011.

1. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Let me introduce myself:

I....am an idiot.

Had a gut feeling that something was going to go wrong. After finishing up plowing my driveway with snow turning to rain, I headed over to fill up on gas, before a storm hits on Friday (6" plus report for now).

Driving thru down town center, I slam over a speed bump. I have accidently done this a few times before. I live in a "nothing" little "New England Town". (Example: We have 1 fire house with a volunteer dept)

When the snow gets heavy, you can't see the speed bumps, and A LOT of guys hit it.

I was only going aout 20 mph. But it was enough to break the front, upper support tab/bar on my push plate (pasenger side). Not the actual push plate section, where it is bolted to the truck frame.

I limped her home (not far) to find out the damage.

Anyways, I am going to take the plow off tomorrow, and the head gear. Hopefully the lower portion of the push plate will be able to be "come up" to the upper location (tab) that broke. I think its kind of "racked" right now, because of the plow's weight.

My buddy (Mechanic and metal guy) is coming by to check things out. I hope that we can weld the break, and also weld some plates on each side of the tab. FWIW - I only plow my 500' inclined driveway with it.

Any positive feed back will be appreciated. Either way: I would keep an eye out for a replacement push plate, as a back-up. I just hope that I can fix it by welding it =

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

bummer Rt 31 by chance?

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

floor jack it back into place and weld it.

4. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Thats exactly what I was thinking/planning on = I was just hoping for such postive feed back - as my plan could just be - me with my head stuck up my butt = Thanks.

5. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

You SOB = Were you behind me? :eek:

.....Very close to it; Main street of the Town (center) runs off of it.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What year/make truck?

7. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 (Body, engine, trans, cab & bed) on a 1989 W250 Frame.

[​IMG]

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Happens to us all at some time, It can be fixed and you will be up and running in no time. Best of luck to you

9. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Thanks. I was feeling pretty stupid. The wife says "she's always aware of where the speed bumps are...."

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Those things happen- especially with time not on your side. When my old man got me into plowing with my Dump, we bought a plasma cutter, a welder, and a 6.5KW generator that would run both of them just in case something like that happened...fortunately we never had to perform an operation with them.

11. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Thanks. I am planning on picking up a decent welding rig in the future.

Thank God for my Buddy tho = he's been a life saver many times over = super talented Jack of All Trades.

12. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

lol no, but I've likely blasted over the same speed bumps inadvertently in my work van. Threw everything all over the place. I used to have a coworker that lived in Greenville

13. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Ha, HA! Too Funny. My buddy that is going to help me with the issue - lives in Greenville.

I grew up in Billerica, MA. Then lived in Nashua, NH for a while, then moved out to the "sticks" (where I am now) about 3 years ago = Love it out here.......

14. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I work out of Nashua, the guy I used to work with lives up behind that crazy guys Trebuchet

15. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Yeah, he didn't do the trebuchet thing this year. I heard he was sick, and that it may be over for good.

16. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

UPDATE:

Plow is allset: Welded up and ready to go. Plowed up about 2" of snow from last night = no problems.

Thanks for everyone's input = much appreciated.