1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke key off in ignition...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dai Maxwell, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Dai Maxwell

Dai Maxwell Junior Member
    from Texas

To make a long story short, I've been operating my 1990 S1500? for several months without the ignition ring, just plugging the key intothe slot. The other day, in turning the ignition on, the key slipped out halfway and broke off. I needed to get to work, so took a gamble and put the broken piece intot he slot and turned and it worked... course, using a pair of scissors also starts the truck now as well since the necessary part of the key is in place.

The question is: how do I get the broken piece out so I can return the truck to being safe from anyone starting it? Is this something a locksmith can easily do or even something that one could do with proper instructions?

p.s. - how about a smiley face eating a gun?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You need to change the lock cylinder ASAP.DO NOT remove the key,as it may not go back in and start the truck.

To replace the lock cylinder you need to have the key in the run position for it to come out,and if you can't turn it,then your screwed.You will have to manually break out the lock cylinder,which is tedious work,and you run the risk of damaging the column.

To get the cylinder out,you'll need to pull off the wheel,and partially slide out the turn signal switch to get at the retaining bolt.Remove the bolt (right side,about 2 o'clock,just under the lock cylinder),and turn the key to the run position.The cylinder should now slide out.Reverse the order to install,making sure the key in the new cylinder is in the same position as the old one,or it won't go in.

One other tip.Don't mess around with the new cylinder by taking the key out of it,or it may come apart,and you'll lose all the tumblers.

If you need any more help in changing it,just let me know.