1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke an axle

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by unior, Jan 27, 2016.

1. unior

unior Member

Well I thought I made it through the storm with no major breakdowns. Then this morning I was pushing snow at my next door neighbors and heard a bang. Busted a u joint, inner and outer front axle on my k20. :mechanic: I had chains on the front wheels so maybe that attributed to the carnage. Autozone wants 860 for just the inner axle! Looking at a junkyard axle but they won't go get the part until the snow melts. :realmad:

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Check these guys out:
    http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...shaft__heavy_duty_jeep_and_pickup_trucks.html

Or go to a bone yard.

3. Casper1

Casper1 Member

Did this this to the exact same year and model of truck last year. I bought all new inner and outer shafts, u joint, seals and other small parts and it wasn't anywhere near that much. Mine was the Corp 10 if that makes any difference.

It's not too bad of a job. Getting the caliper bolts out required one of those striped head tools though.

I replaced the truck this year.

As I'm typing this I am wondering what side you broke. I broke the drivers side. The pass side needed a new u joint which I bought and never replaced. The guy who bought the truck had a whole used pass side assy so he just swapped and didn't use the new u joint I had given him with the truck. If you'd like I can see if he has the old one along with the ujoint.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ya that much for Dana 44 parts is crazy. Look around online. I am sure you can get that a lot cheaper. I remember changing u joints in my dana 44 every year. The driver side would start clicking and was the one to always break first. As soon as I heard it clicking I would unlock the hubs and fix it.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

6. Casper1

Casper1 Member