1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke A Tie Rod End On My Allis-Chalmers 5050 Tractor

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mercer_me, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Yesterday I was about 1/4 mile behind my house in the woods cuttinging fire wood. I had hauled out 2 twiches and everything was going great. As I was backing up to a tree I had cut down the tractor started to spin so I stoped and looked down at the front tires and the left tire was cocked off to the left and the rite tire was cocked off to the rite. So I shut the tractor off and got off it. I went up to the left tire and saw that my tire rod end had snapped. So I had to walk back to my house and bring some tools out on my ATV. I took the broken peices off. It's had to se in the picture but it was already cracked so it was going to break sooner or later. I had a hard time finding a new tie rod end since Allis-Chalmers is no langer made. But I finaly found one and they are going to next day air it to me. So hopefully I will get it tomarow and put it on my tractor so I can cut more firewood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

get the welder out

3. mercer_me

It's cast and the break is on a bend. My cousin who welds for a living and is the best welder I know said it would crack and break again.

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Welding is at least a temp fix to get the tractor out of the woods!

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

weld cast with stainless rod then plate it, go back to work when yu get new one, replace, did you get a new or used one? there is a guy in dover foxcroft on rt 15 who has a bunch of old tractors along side the road, he might have some thing that works for it, i know he used to be an agco-allis dealer, so he might have been a allis chalmers dealler back in the day

6. mercer_me

The new tie rod end is suposed to come today so I'm not going to weld the broken tie rod end.

7. mercer_me

I know exactly who you are talking about and I forgot all about him. The new tie rod end is suposed to come today so it's to late now. I wish I had called him, but it's to late now. If I break anything else I will give him a call.

8. RoGrrr

RoGrrr Junior Member

I seriously doubt that is cast. I would say that it's a forging. Castings don't have torsional strength while that's what forging was designed for. I would give it a try with welding and see what happens. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the results.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

A good weld wouldn't last forever, but temporarily it would... replacing the part is the best bet of course :nod:

10. mercer_me

I got a new tie rod end over nited and put it on the day after it broke. I would have welded it but it was obviasly going to break again. Since I drive it down the road on a regular basis I didn't dare to weld it.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't that a pitman arm?

12. mercer_me

That's what I said, but all the parts stores on-line was clling it a tire rod end.