1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broke A Mount (with pics)

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 1, 2012.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I know I am not the first one and I don't have hard feelings...just sharing what happened. We got about 2" of wet slop last night. First few passes are between two semi trailers so wasnt going fast. You can see by the pictures I didnt hit the curb and I didn't hit the bank hard or push into it. The funny part is because I was between the trailers when I hit reverse and raised the blade I was already looking behind me, no sign of a break at all. You can imagine my surprise when I made it to the other side of the lot and went to drop the blade and it wasn't there :jester:. I laughed to myself for a second, then got mad for a second, went to the shop, grabbed a different truck and plow... life goes on :drinkup:.

Junk1.jpg

Junk2.jpg

Junk3.jpg

Junk4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. NBI Lawn

In the last picture you can see it looks as though its been cracked for a while. I'm just glad it didn't happen while driving. It's also funny they both broke in the same spot at the same angle.

EDIT: The truck is a '99 Chev 2500 classic. Bought the 8.5' v-plow used last year but we typically run a 9' scoop on it.

Junk5.jpg

Junk6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Did the electrical connections disconnect without damage?

4. NBI Lawn

Pulled out straight, no damage to the truck or plow...just the mount. Thumbs Up

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Lucky. Ya, that would be scary to have happen to driving down the road. Might be a good candidate for the new heavier forks.

6. NBI Lawn

The new forks are a new design so they wont work on older plows...thats how I understand it. Maybe if I complain enough Hiniker will start "monitoring" this forum and just send me a new one ;) .

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You can retrofit a new plowside receiver to work with the new style forks, according to my dealer. I just swapped trucks and was gonna put the new style on my truck. But, it was more money than I wanted to spend already, without swapping the plowside. So, I stayed with the old style.

kevlars

9. exmark

exmark Senior Member

I have heard a lot of stories about the mounts breaking off. I have never seen pictures or anything to prove it, but thats crazy. I always wonder what if it were to break off driving down the road...

10. NBI Lawn

I had heard many stories too. I was amazed when this happened. Still havent fixed it... Maybe Hiniker will just send me a new one. PM me for my address :laughing:

11. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

That's what happened with my 8 Foot straight. Pulled up to the building to back drag and when I looked up, the plow was still by the building. Our plugs also unplugged without any issues or breaking them. Forks broke just like that. I have never been a fan of Hiniker until I went to the Snow Show here in Chicago over this past Summer. They beefed up there Forks and I love the 9 foot Scoop. Oh yeah, Hiniker actually replaced our Forks for FREE!

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

did you say some one stole my plow y i was using it its getting ruff out here

13. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I dont see this upgrade anywhere

14. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

They totally changed them including where the locking mechanism hooks in on to the plow, they are alot thicking and heavier now and won't interchange with the old ones.

Welcome to the club of breaking one! Hiniker will not cover it unless it's in warranty that was what we ran into with them

15. exmark1

We had one fall off 3 years ago broke in the exact same place, it was a V-Plow on a 2001 Dodge that broke off at 50 mph ended up totalling the truck and plow from the damage

16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I wish your pics where bigger...hard to see what happen..

17. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

What year did they start doing the new forks?

My new plow I bought this year was a leftover from last year I'm pretty sure. Is there some way to decode when it was built from the serial number?

My forks seem beefy enough. Their either 1/2 or 5/8" plate

18. exmark1

They just came out this year, if you have the notch cut in the center for the locking mechanism it's the old style fork and mount system. The new one I believe is only available on the V & Scoop models right now as well

19. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

Yep I have the notch so I have the old ones. Luckily i made a pair of extras just incase since i hear about them breaking off.

Good thing I can do my own fab work and have access to a full metal shop. We had to modify the mount since my truck is lifted 6" and has 35s. Just ground off the weld on the vertical pieces that attach to the square tube and the truck brackets and made new extended pieces out of 1/2" instead of 3/8". Then we welded them on the inside and outside around the square tube as the factory only did the outside and switched to grade 8 bolts to secure it to the truck to deal with the extra force.

Everything worked perfect during the first storm here, plowed 19 hrs straight over some pretty rough pavement and it held up just fine.

I figured while we were doing the rest of the work that I would make up new spades in case one ever broke in the middle of the storm it would be a lot easier to just grind and weld instead of trying to fab up one as well.

20. NBI Lawn

I did talk to Hiniker about this and they said "sorry". Still haven't fixed it, probably watch CL for a used one.