1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Broadcasting Sand?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Idealtim, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Does anyone know of a somewhat cheap walk behind broadcast spreader that will throw mixed sand and salt? If so, how dry must the mix be? I am just going to do a few drives and figured this would be better than uneven shovel throws. From the searches I've done, people say most broadcasters can throw straight salt if it has rubber wheels. I'd like it to be able to throw straight sand, but would settle for mix. I would think the hopper would need a much bigger auger and adjustable holes mabey? Or should I just try and find a wide drop spreader? Is there a spreader that accepts just sand?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just pickup one of those cheap Scotts spreaders at Home Depot.20.00 for it.

3. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Would that spread sand or just salt?

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The Scotts disposable :D unit is what I have been using for the last two seasons plus now this year.

It will spread sand if it is nice and dry and powdery. Bagged salt is no trouble, bulk works but sometimes you need to bang it around a little and thats going to break the machine's cheezy plastic wheels pretty quick.

5. Rickco

Rickco Member

A broadcast spreader will not throw sand,unless its bone dry,and then it's questionable. If you are dead set on using a speader for sand or mix then a drop spreader will be your best bet,not good but much better. I'd love to be able to give you a answer that it would work but that just isn't the case.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

What if I buy a meyer hotshot or a other top of the line one that is made for the snow industry, are they any better? Or a more simple question, which one has the biggest holes in the bottom of the hopper?

7. Rickco

Rickco Member

The problem with them is thet they are like a big funnel (just like the single stage electric units) and the sand,being so fine,just binds up in the bottom of the cone and bridges.

8. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Just Buy Magic Salt Works The Balls And It Will Be Dry Clean And Quick

9. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

agrifab makes a 100lb. walk behind broadcast spreader. we had them at a jobsite, where the client provided us bagged sand for the brick patios. the only problem we had with them was the legs would break, so you would have to prop them against something while loading. Grainger carries them, and you might be able to special order it from Lowes or Home Depot, or an ace hardware

10. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

bam, that might be my answer. You say they spread sand, how dry was it?