1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bristles of a snow removing machine

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by SnoFarmer, Feb 16, 2015.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Never seen a steel tipped brush.

3. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I think the steel brissel was an embellishment on the reporters part.
    The reporter should get 6mo off......

they had a little news pice on it on the local news too.
    that reporter held up a blue plastic bristle.

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

some of the larger brush's do have wire. I think it is one wire and 6 plastic strands per hole in the drum. They were put there to cut the ice because the plastic just bypasses the ice on the runway. They usually have a magnetic bar that trails the brush to capture the steel left behind. Since going to pre treats with CMA, the ice issue has declined significantly. Seems to me like someone in Duluth forgot to put the magnet bar on the brush.

I guess your liability insurance would cover you if you had high enough limits. I think a rotor replacement for a f-16 would probably run you about 20 million. Plain jane rock salt does the same damage as steel going through a engine. They use urea and cma on runways only

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So they have both, cool

6. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

A rotor or stator replacement on a f-16 I'm sure wouldn't run 20 mil, no where close. What did an f-16 cost new? I don't think it was a lot more mils more than 20.

That said, it wouldn't be cheap. 100's of thousands easily.

7. fireball

I could put you into a f-16 today for about 200 million.

8. fireball

depending on the situation, a engine changeout can be 2 hours or 3 months, depends on how many other pm's they have to do on the tail number at the same time. the real cost is the transportation and administrative overhead for the engine going back for a depot rebuild. Parts sitting in a warehouse for 25 years run by a government contractor are not cheap. Airlines have been trying to figure out how to do it for years without any success. The days of jumping into a fighter jet and flying off into the wild blue yonder are gone. Each time one takes off and lands you are looking at a cool million dollars. And if you are Obama, you spend 25 million just flying anywhere. I think his new Air Force One's are gonna cost in the trillions. I think the last f-16's were produced in 2012, they are being replaced with f-22's and f-35's. Sad thing is no matter the technical advances or the money spent on the things now, a 600 dollar drone with a hand grenade will ruin your day

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I use half steel half poly on my sidewalk brush, I was advised that it wore better, but have never tried just poly.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

from various sources and their claims: cost to operate for 1hr

Gripen $3,000 - $4,500 USD
    F-16 approximately $5,000 USD
    Rafale $16,000 USD
    F-22 $19,000-$40,000 USD
    F-15C $17,000-$30,000 USD
    Eurofighter Typhoon - $14,000 USD

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

AIRCRAFT
    Bristles Force Guard to Ground 12 F-16s
    PETER PASSI ON FEB 5, 2015

The 148th Air National Guard Fighter Wing grounded the aircraft this weekend, when it came to light that a mechanical sweeper used to clear the tarmac at Duluth International Airport had been losing excessive bristles on the job.

The metal and poly bristles were sucked into the powerful turbine engines of the jets, prompting the Air National Guard to deem them unfit for service.

"We take FOD -- foreign object damage -- extremely seriously, whether it be birds in the air or sand on the runway. There are a lot of things that can cause jet engines to malfunction," said Capt. Jodi Kiminski of the 148th.

Kiminski said mechanics have been working around the clock to return the jets to service for a military exercise scheduled this weekend, but Duluth's skies have been abnormally quiet as training sorties have been placed on hold in the meantime.

The 148th boasts a total squadron of 22 F-16s, but at any time some of the jets are out of service for repairs. The temporary idling of 12 F-16s will effectively keep the unit's pilots on the ground all this week, Kiminski predicted.

None of the aircraft's engines have been irreparably damaged, but Kiminski said: "We have been putting in a ton of hours."

Kiminski said she couldn't attach a dollar value to the repairs. Yet she doesn't expect the unit will seek to collect any damages from the Duluth Airport Authority, which is responsible for keeping its runways clear.

"In terms of any financial fallout, that will have to be worked out at another time," said Thomas Werner, executive director of the Duluth Airport Authority.

"I can only tell you that right now we are solely focused on making sure that everybody, including those F-16s, can fly in and out of here reliably, and that's what we're working towards," he said.

Sweepers with larger rotating heads have been used to maintain local runways for more than a decade, according to Werner.

"This particular piece of equipment that had the bristle issue is new to the fleet, but I don't think that, in and of itself, is cause for concern," he said.

"We've been in contact with both the manufacturer of this particular piece of heavy equipment, as well as with the manufacturer of the bristle cartridge, which is separate," Werner said. "They both have been very good to work with to help us to solve the problem. That investigation is still active and ongoing, in terms of finding the root cause."

Air National Guard staff noticed the bristles late last week, and the extent of the problem became evident upon further inspection of the unit's F-16s during the weekend.
    http://www.aviationpros.com/news/11832513/bristles-force-guard-to-ground-12-f-16s

12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Could you? Wow what a deal. Original cost of say a "C" or "D" model in 1998 was 18.8mil. Doubt they have gone up 10X since.

13. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

You seem to like to add one or two zeros to your numbers Thumbs Up . Granted, these things do not come cheap, but a $60 drone will do that. Trillions for air force one? 25 mil to fly air force one anywhere?

Engines for a super hornet - two F414-GE-400 engines cost $9.64 million ($4.82 million each), can't see a f16 engine going for more than that (brand new, not repairs). (source: Aerospace & Defence Intelligence Report 2014) Haven't found f16 engine prices yet, but they would be on par to that.

14. fireball

go to www.united-rotary.com and look at their catalog. Beginning on page 14 are the airport brush's. You will see pictures of the wafers and cassettes both poly and wire. Whole catalog is very informative on all the brush's, materials, designs of all sweeping equipment.

go to www.fodcontrol.com to see examples of the magnetic pickup bars. Next time you are at the airport, look at some of the equipment and you will see them. Not unreasonable to think someone knocked off the magnetic bar on the brush or they were waiting for parts when they decided to run without them

go to www.aljon.com to see examples of airport runway plows, brush's, and blowers.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The Boys (ANG) are air borne,

Just heard/ saw them go by