1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing home a new plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eggy, Jul 29, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy Member

I will soon be having a new westren installed and was wondering how you guys transport them home...The dealer is about a hour and a half away. Do you guys just have it mounted on the front or put in the back?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

What are you transporting it with? How big is the cooling system (plow or towing rated)? I don't transport our's on the front of the truck in weather above 80 degrees. Even if the cooling system is big enough to not overheat the engine the transmission could suffer a serious overheat (do you have a tranny temp guage?).
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I have used an engine hoist/cherry picker to lift it into the back of the box. It takes a little creative chaining to get it picked up and not scratch too much paint. If you have a new truck I would also set it on a heavy piece of cardboard or plywood so you wont scratch the box floor and maybe even some heavy blankets or carpet on the wheel houses.
    Just be sure to take your time and maybe even a little help from a buddy.
    Good luck
    Mark K
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

EGGY...Just mount it on the truck and drive it home!
    I did......didn't want to scratch up my new paint or
    bedliner. Just keep an eye on the temp. guage !
    BTW; What size did you get ? Straight or V ?
    What kind of truck do you have ?

Goood luck and welcome to plow site !
    You found the RIGHT place.....geo
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Much easier on the truck if you put it in the bed. Only thing you need to remember is ya gotta have a way to get that heavy sucker out w/ damaging it.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

in hot weather i would put it in the back with plenty of cardboard.And when you get it home park under a tree and winch it up or just get four of your bigest freinds to help take it off.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd rather haul it in the back. Use a sheet of plywood like has been suggested and slide it out when you get it home. With two guys and a saw horse you should have it licked!
  8. eggy

eggy Member

Its a ford f250 the plow is a western ultra mount. The dealer told me just to mount it to the front turn it to one side as far as it will go and head home.......I dont have means of getting it out of the bed of the truck.....
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Stay around 40mph and watch the temp gauge. Avoid potholes:realmad: .
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

A rope and a tree are all you need, it'll come out!;) ;) :D :D
  11. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i am bring my new ultramount home on thursday. i am just mounting it on the front if its hot out i dont want to mess with taking it out of the back