1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bring it on!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 13, 2002.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Check it out: (click here)
    ok Big Nate bring that JD front mower over lets see who's the better man!
    this cost me about $40 with the metal on sale 50% off at Lowe's. (store was closing to move across the street) It's 12" high and each side is 24" wide. I've seen many Vplows on GT's but none that adjusted like this. I have a 40" straight blade but it was too narrow (didn't cover the wheel width when angled) and i wanted something real cool so i built this. The 40" blade now sits on the back with sides on it so it's a box blade, i backdrag with it. It's on a separate lift lever i rigged up. Haven't tried it yet though. I restored the tractor (rebuilt the engine too) and made the cab, and snowplow. in these pics we had +/- 3" snow, kinda wet by the time i got to it. This plow is really useful in the scoop position for short pushes just to keep all the snow together and push it in a pile. It was indespensible for piling snow in the back yard for snow forts :) we had enough snow for two forts and plenty of snowballs in about 7 minutes!
    Happy Plowing!
    Oh yea, I'm 14 1/2 so this IS my plow rig for now.
    Eric

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Nice job Eric!

~Chuck

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

It's nicely done - haven't seen the V-plow first hand yet but I did see the "Hog" up close last summer: I had the pleasure of meeting Eric and his family while I was out "on tour" on the bike.

I plan to get down that way again this summer coming up, we'll have to see who has the louder "Hog" then! ;)

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

:p But yours dosent have any bungee cord trip springs and mini prowings!!:p

But it does look good~ Nate

pict0085.jpg

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Where in indiana are you? if not too far hell I'll bring the deere down so you can get whupped!!:D ;) :D :D

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

will one of u explain how this comp is gonna work?

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments
    Big Nate -
    I'm south of Indy about an hour down in Columbus, IN. I'm about an hour from Cincinnati. My rig pushes 950 lbs loaded with me, pretty heavy for a GT w/o extra weights. I've since put on a chrome pipe on it, so it's 2 1/2" diameter , it really barks now, and it looks better. Hey, i don't need no stinkin bungee cords, this is professional! it has a rubber edge on it too, i've taken it over some pretty rough concrete where a bunch is chipped out and i didn't feel a thing. The edge is actually a timing belt from a car. smooth side forward. I thought about putting wings on it because it could push more, probably 6" per side to bring it up to 60" but I haven't bothered to do it yet. The plow works great! and it angles alot unlike yours, which doesn't even angle sideways, or does it? How wide is yours anyhow? How much does that JD weigh?
    Later,
    Eric

8. Big Nate's Plowing

that deere is most likely over 1200 with me on it, the new plow weights around 100 lbs and is 54" wide and 68" with the wings they have rubber edges and the plow it'self has a 1/2" polyurethane edge
    no wheel weights but it has tire chains sence it makes no sence to drive 400 miles to plow a huge pile of snow how about just taking a pic of the biggest pile you can make and we will see who's is better:D

9. Big Nate's Plowing

your just envious~~NaTe

pict0086.jpg

10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Jealous of what?!? Mine is METAL, not WOOD and PLASTIC!!!!!
    FYI, we have no sno, so can't take pic of piles. If we ever get any (PLEASE GOD!?!?!) I will certainly pile up alot and take a pic. usually i can pile up alot but it just goes over the sides in the scoop position, i mean it piles so big that it goes over the blade or just goes off to the sides, so it's hard to do this, but we'll see. I got chains sorta, but they're really old v belts, usually around 54 inches or so long, turned inside out, 2 per wheel, on those lug tires it really helps. I do have 20lb (per wheel) weights i could put on the wheels but it scratches them up and i don't need it anyway. are you avoiding the question "does your plow angle?" or what? lol....
    Really, your rig is nice, but be reasonable about the limits of the wood, hate to be broke down in the middle of the route.... when i took these pictures that day i saw a front mower JD with a blade clearing a lot, and it was REALLY piling up the snow and still going. pretty impressive... have you got to try it yet?
    BTW, how fast can/will you plow with that? my Hog does 6.9mph and will plow at that speed too, but i usually don't go that fast mainly cause it gets pretty loud with a straight pipe, and don't wanna offend anyone!
    Eric

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Remember, "If it's too loud you're too old". Now, where did I see that before........................ :p

I like both of your tractor/plow projects, being in the metal fab trade myself I enjoy "building my own" and it's nice to see other people doing the same thing! :)

Only about 6+ hours from Toldeo to here, and around 11+ from south of Indy - lots of snow here now for the "competition"! ;)

12. Big Nate's Plowing

yea.... it works..... thats all that counts.
    Thats where my Mini~Pro Wings come in handy
    It does now! :p
    I cleared my route of 18 driveways and 3 lots twice without breaking anything.
    Yes, it plows just fine and it rolls the snow good.

It travels @ about 8-9 mph

Maybe you should buy a muffler~ Nate

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Nate,
    1) I'm not dissing wood, i've built alot of stuff from it, BUT it is nicer having metal and not have to worry about hearing a cracking/splitting sound....

2) 4' is actually perfect size for me because i can get in tight spots, i can fit through an approx. 44" area with it in the angled position, which you can't, which means i can do sidewalks and fit between vehicles and walls/other obstacles, etc that you'll have to shovel!

3) good to hear it angles because you would have a hard time in the straight position....

4) I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN MUFFLER! THAT'S WHY I STOOD SWEATING OVER THE MUFFLER WITH A HACKSAW FOR 15 STINKIN MINUTES!!!!!! I cut the muffler off.. now it not only shows but tells those who aren't lookin whose boss... at half throttle! I don't go the the constant "drone" sound of engines with mufflers, particularly the commercial mower exhausts.... I don't use this one for other people's places much, and the ones i do with it don't mind alot, alot of them think it's real cool, and i dont do drives early morning/late night anyhow, and it doesn't need more than 1/4 throttle to do the job, though i usually run it up more...

BTW, Rob is saying "if it's too loud, you're too old" well I wonder where he got it from: click here
    LOL, that's the back of my seat on my Hog....
    BTW, i'm making another snowplow from scratch, this one a 48" straight blade for a friend's 1980 Craftsman GTV18 :) Garden tractor vari-drive/ 18hp ) . We just spent $127 tonight at Lowe's for the parts. i'll get a few pics of it before it goes home and update you on my plow making success
    Eric

14. Big Nate's Plowing

I have only angled it twice, and most of the time I leave it strait.
    ~ NaTe

15. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

calm down BOYS!!!!!! no one wants to see you come to blows over this, lol
    Have fun with ur homemade toys!