1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brine ?????s

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Dec 13, 2008.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,

I have used liquids for a couple years now, but am now running an operation where they haven't before, so we have no infrastructure to store or apply them this season, which is fine. My question to all of you brine brewing guys is this, can I use a bagged, treated salt to make brine? I have a large client which is a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility and they have expressed a desire to reduce tracking of salt into the building, so we use landscapers choice on the walks and thought maybe I could make some brine. I will not use enough to justify buying a seperate liquid but figured I could throw a couple bags in a 55 gallon garbage can and throw a sump pump we have lying around in the bottom with the hose rigged to circulate the mix, what do you think?

2. Crystal Creek

Crystal Creek Junior Member

I to have a very similar situation. Hopefully the bump will help.

3. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

I talked with a guy from Dow Chem in Mi. today and he told me to make 100 Gallons of 32% Liquid Calcium I need 82 Gallons of water & 450lbs Dow Flake These are there specs just passin it on! Mike

4. Crystal Creek

HOLY CRAP!!!! Thats insane. I did talk to the concrete plant down the road from me and they sell it for $0.45. The only problem is they are not open during snow storms. I guess I could get a bunch of plastic 55 Gal Drums and prefill. Dose this brine stuff go bad with time?

5. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Unfreakinbelievable dude, your a chemist!

6. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

I have been told it doesn't go bad! To start the winter season I had 3,000 gals from summer! My 2 cents, Mike

7. Crystal Creek

Thanks mike. At least there are some helpful people on here. Some just seem like a$$holes with their answers. I guess they were born knowing everything. I was not so lucky, Thanks again.

8. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

You can check out a website called liquidcalciumchloride.com for information regarding Liquidow same thing as peladow bags but in liquid form and it will melt ice and snow way better than brine it just costs a little more! My 2 cents good luck, Mike

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats wild. It will cost over one dollar per gallon when you make it yourself. I guess its not that weird cos they take the liquid into a solid form then you buy it and take it back to the liquid form. By buying it liquid from the begining you are elimiating a bunch of steps.

Mike, did you end up going back to Liquid Dow or are you still using brine?

10. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

I am going to order 2000 gals this week if my cash flow allows me too! My tanks arent empty yet! I kow this stuff works great I just tried to save a little dough though and this last batch has kind of bitten me in the ??? Mike

11. Crystal Creek

Thanks again Mike. It's people like you that make sites like this work. The web site was cool. I will see if there is a dealer around me where I can get this stuff. Thanks again.

12. Crystal Creek

Still wondering why you would post something that is so unhelpful?

13. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

What do you mean? All I did is post what the guys at Dow Chem told me! Just passin it on! Sorry if it didnt help! Mike

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mike
    I think he was replying to Turbo's reply not your post.

Regards Mike

15. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

Ok, guess I was to tired to think logically! Thanks Mike

16. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

Superior Paul I have a call into Liquid cal.chloride sales in Kawklin Mi. they have been hauling for Dow Chem for 40 yrs! Thats where I got it from last yr. Mike

17. Crystal Creek

Ha. Mike I was praising you. The information you posted was top notch. Dont worry, I too have jumped with out checking the poster's name.
    Yes, Turbo's post was a jab that was a little uncalled for. I'm a new guy and trying to learn so I dont look like a moran. It was Mike that was a big help with this. I found liquid CaCl at the cement plant and I am in the process of getting a small holding tank at my yard. This will help out greatly. Again, too Mike and the other helpful people, THANK YOU:salute::salute: Now if you guys could only bring me some snow. Being a landscaper leaves a lot of free time when the grass stops growing.:cry:

18. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

Crystal Creek, Good Luck if you need any more info let me know! Mike