1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BRINE on wooden path ramp?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BigBoyPlowin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Has anyone ever sprayed a wooden ramp with brine? In essence it sounds like it would work phenomenally since the wood could absorb the liquid... But is this bad for the wood? Or is it equally as bad as spreading enviro-melt or Dragon Melt?

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I spread rock salt on treated wood deck before many times and didnt seem any worse than anything else. Brine would have less salt content than straight rock salt.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would use bear ground,
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have a client with a wooden wheelchair ramp that we have been spraying for 6 seasons now with no issues.
  5. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys.... I guess that's what I'll do then!
  6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

The issue with salt on the ramp isn't really how it effects the wood. The salt rusts away the fasteners that hold it all together.
    I've seen one contact that required calcium chloride on all pressure treated decks and ramps.