1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brine making

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by psd104, Jan 22, 2016.

1. psd104

psd104 Junior Member
    from ny

I have a silly question. I use rock salt now but I'm thinking on moving to a liquid system. Looking around I am having a hard time finding out how to make liquid. Can you mix it like pesticides? Concentrate and water and you off ? Or is it more in tailed. If I can get an explanation or pointed in the right direction that would be great.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCISUte2IwE

3. psd104

psd104 Junior Member
    from ny

Thanks, but is there a concentrated version that can be bought and you just water. Or am I off base and everyone makes their own.

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Concentrated salt brine?

valleyviewlawns likes this.
  5. SynaTek Solutions

SynaTek Solutions Inactive

As far as I know there is no liquid concentrate for sodium chloride. I am a manufacturer of liquid de-icing products and all brine is made from using medium grade screened and dried sodium chloride (NaCal) into water to create a salinity of 23.7% solution. Many times we will mix in liquid calcium chloride in a 9-1 mix per gallon of finished product to help heat the mix up. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. Good Luck!

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There most certainly is.......it's called rock\bulk\bagged\solar\water softener salt.

7. SynaTek Solutions

SynaTek Solutions Inactive

All of the products you listed are first granular and added to water and agitation to make a soluble solution which is re flushed through the brine equipment multiple times until the recommended salinity is met. Typically 2.28 lbs of granular sodium chloride creates 1 gallon of finished brine. Hope it helps.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It's also the only NaCl concentrate he's going to find.......unless he gets tanker loads from Great Salt Lake or the Dead Sea. :nod:Thumbs Up

9. psd104

psd104 Junior Member
    from ny

Thanks for your input.

10. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Member
    from 56063

Making brine is a fairly simple concept. The basic concept is as follows, salt is added to water and agitated. The mixture is agitated until a solution of 23.3% brine is achieved. Pumps are your best option for mixing. Salt is added to a tank (roughly 2.3 pounds of salt per gallon for a final solution of 23.3% when completely dissolved) and water pressure is used to mix the solution. The design of your system will dictate how long it takes to achieve the correct mixture.

Our company has been using liquid as our only means of de-icing for four years and have easily made over 150,000 gallons of brine.We have gained a lot of information about the process. Feel free to ask any questions!

valleyviewlawns likes this.