1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brine Maker hard at work!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lynden-Jeff, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Just finished making a brine maker, crude version of Kubotas and so far its working like a champ! Water is pumped from our 4000 gal holding tank in to the top tote, which has a spray system to dissolve the salt, it then overflows in to the bottom tote. We used an excavator to load the salt. After being filtered another gas pump back to the holding tank. About 150 GPM goes through the system and we dissolved 6000 lbs in 1.5 hours today.

The salt had some decent fines in it so it seemed to dissolve really well. The spray bar system in the dissolving tank is not really all that great so it is going to be redesigned. In fact the top tank is going to be entirely rebuilt before the next brew. We make 3500 gal at a time. Just wanted to post this up as I appreciate Kubotas contributions to this forum and the more info we have here the better!

Cheers
    Jeff

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 1.jpg

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

cool pics, what do you use it on, ie: roads, parking lots? around here only used on roads.

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice pics does that stuff work good

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

And before you know it you'll be building one of these..............

800 gallon batch (Small).jpg

2,000 pounds of salt at a time

800 gallon batch (Small).jpg

5. Lynden-Jeff

We use it pre and post application on parking lots mostly

So far we like the use of liquids in combination with granular. It speeds up application and reduces material usage.

It wouldn't surprise me lol. I'm blown away by how fast the salt dissolved in this. After I saw the video of yours I was expecting at least 4-5 hours of mixing for 3 tons but it dissolved almost as fast as we could scoop it in (took one 20 minute break) and the tote still never got over half full with salt. Maybe we just lucked out with lots of fines. Do you find your water injection methods change the dissolve speed greatly?

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Kubota 8540

The salt itself plays a huge part in the dissolving. Some salt I have bought was very coarse and took a long time to dissolve other times the rock salt had a good mix of fines and I made brine really fast.

I changed the size and location of the supply pipes in the elevated tote at least a dozen times until I settled on (4) 3/4" pipes stopping about 4" from the bottom of the tote and a 160-190 gpm pump. By stopping the pipes about 4" from the bottom of the tote it puts the water flow at the bottom of the tote and lifts the salt up into the water, it rolls or cold boils the salt.Seemed to create the greatest amount of turbulence and moved the salt around to help dissolve it more quickly.

I think I enjoyed figuring it out and building it more than I did using it. LOL

The big brinemaker cost $3,000 in parts and will make 1,700 gph effortlessly and consistently. Sure makes my 3,000 gallon bulk tank seem small. But for the little cost involved with the 2 tote method it sure does work well.

7. Kubota 8540

I have had a goofy idea since Spring of building a brinemaker on a trailer. The trailer big enough to carry the brinemaker (diesel powered) and my skidsteer. Pull into a customers location hook up to their water supply, storage tank, and use their salt supply. 1 man operation. Figure the cost to charge per gallon or per day. Make brine til it don't shine. Rinse out and go home. The customer wouldn't have to buy, maintain, or store a brinemaker, that right there has to be worth something, plus labor, fuel and profit. I don't know, just an idea at this point.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Interesting idea, I think it would be good for large quantity operations (5000 gal +) but hard to justify for smaller batches which could be brewed and shipped via tanker truck. Could you post up some more pics of that large brine maker? Possible top/side/back shots? Curious to see how it works.

Cheers
    Jeff

9. Kubota 8540

Funny part is, I don't even own a brinemaker. I found that as I build them, they need to be tested before they are picked up or delivered, so.........I make sure they work properly. :D

10_29_10 003 (Small).jpg

10_29_10 006 (Small).jpg

For more pics they are posted here ... http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=108235

10_29_10 003 (Small).jpg

10_29_10 006 (Small).jpg

10. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

Kubota... how can one purchase one of your brine plants? pm with price and details

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Kubota, I think it's time to take your design to the next level- replace the plywood chute for loading with ss or alum, mabe some sort of poly Thumbs Up

12. Kubota 8540

Can in a heart beat but nobody wanted to spend the xtra $$$

13. Kubota 8540

I can go stainless steel, from the tanks to the plumbing to the hopper and skid, just get the BIG checkbook out.

My goal I had in mind when I sat down and figured this out was inexpensive, all parts had to be readily accessible, and a design that fit in the do-it-yourself line.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  14. Kubota 8540

Pretty hard to beat a $60 price tag on the hopper.

15. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just brainstorming! And I'm one to talk, I've been reading and learning for a couple years and I'm still in the "planning stage".

16. Kubota 8540

If you can find something thats readily available to you to build the hopper out of, then that usually ends up the cheapest or easiest.

17. Kubota 8540

I would like to take the time and figure out a folding hopper that is a lid for the tank opening when closed and a hopper when open. I would also like to make it in 2 piece skids that quick connect together. That would make it easier to move, store, and ship.

18. Kubota 8540

I personally like the idea of a poly hopper.

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Need to find some cheap totes that you can cut up for the hopper.

20. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

I am almost done with my "Kubota_8540 Twin Tote Brine Maker Express". On the four 3/4" pipes stopping about 4 inches from the bottom of the tote, are those pointed in any certain direction, or did you just build a PVC manifold and point them straight down?

Thanks Jim!