1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brightest LED reverse light that doesn't require a relay?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by justgeorge, Nov 21, 2011.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Hi guys,
    Late last year I bought a Backup Buddy, love it, but this year I'm adding salting and so the BB won't work. Looking at rigging up a stake pocket mount using a stake pocket tie down (found that using the search) and I'd like to just wire into the reverse lights. I don't see me needing to turn them on except in reverse.

I really like the looks of the SoundOff Par 36 1000 lumen lights, but this part of the installation instructions doesn't do much for me:

"See diagram below for required electrical
    connections. Connect the RED wire to
    +Vdc through a customer supplied 5A
    fuse and switch. Connect the BLACK wire
    to a reliable ground."

Does that mean it can be wired to the reverse lights using a 5A inline fuse? Not really using a switch.

If not, what would be a bright LED light that could just be wired to the reverse lights?

Thanks

2. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

OK I just read all 9 pages of the "DDM lighting" thread and saw a post in there that they don't require a relay. So that probably answered my question.

3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Correct, no relay needed.

4. Invapd

Invapd Junior Member

Which Back up Buddy do you have? Would you want to sell it?

5. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Invapd,
    Just sent you a "visitor message", couldn't find where to send you a PM (probably because you're new to the site).

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i got a pair of extra steak pocket tie downs...if ya haven't bought already...bought 4 for a 2 light project.

building a quick 3 way switch harness with relay is not hard at all....

switch works like

UP = lights on in any gear
    CENTER = no lights in any gear
    DOWN = lights on in REVERSE only...

its very easy to build...one relay and one switch....some wire...

email me

7. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Thanks picked up the stake pockets at Tractor Supply today, $4 each. Ordered the lights (decided to go with the Ebay version of the HDD 1350 lumen lights), $76 includes 2-day UPS shipping for 2 lights.

The more I think about it I might give the relay and switch a try - I might be blinding my neighbors when I back out of my driveway, probably would be handy to turn them off now and then. I'll email you. I'll be running wires along the frame and into the cab anyway to install the spreader controls what's a couple more wires?

thanks

8. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where is the ebay page you found your lights at, thanks

9. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

10. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

wish I saw that auction prob take me a month to get them from ddm tuning.

11. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Have you received the lights yet? Seems too good of a deal to be true. Let me know what you think of them. What brand are they?

12. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Got them on Friday, super fast shipping. No brand name visible, over on the "DDM Tuning" thread the guys there say they are the same thing. I'm going to wire them up temporarily just to see them, I'll post some pics.

13. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

14. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

I just bought the 27watters from him. I will let you how they look when they show up

15. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

You just specified a flood version at checkout?

16. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

That's what he told me to do, I had contacted him earlier via the "ask seller a question about this item". You might do that first to make sure he still has the flood version. He hasn't been more than 6 or 8 hours responding to any email and shipped the same day I did the buy it now.

17. Winex4902

Winex4902 Junior Member

Did you ever get them hooked up? I am curious to see how they look.

18. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

I did I will take some pictures tonight.

THEY ARE BRIGHT

19. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Here you go These are the 27watt cree leds from ebay. 117 shipped 2 day air

They are very bright. The one picture shows them on during the day. You can see the beams of light on the blacktop.... Now to order a set for the other truck

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg

IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

20. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Night pics please