1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brighter headlights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cnydreamr, Mar 31, 2008.

1. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

Just bought a 97 chev 2500 with a of that era boss plow, the headlights on the truck are dim. Could the extra resistance in the plow wiring harness be dropping the voltage? Should I run a bank of relays to the lights? Many thanks

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You could have a bad ground or a voltage drop in some bad connectors. Check it with volt meter and compare it to you stock lights. If it good you may consider changing bulbs, if it low start checking all your wiring and grounds.

3. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

someone at work mentioned about the haze/ yellowing of the headlights themselves, but I wouldn't think it would cut down on the output that much, would it? It's like they are on low volt day time running lighting, even on hi beam.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The yellowing/haze on the composite lights will dramatically affect the light output. More than likely thats whats causing the diminished light output but it doesn't hurt to check the ground wires. Should be one or two on the core support. Make sure they're clean and tight.

You can repair the yellow/hazed lights rather than replacing if your on a tight budget. If they're in pretty bad shape I'll first wet sand them with 1800-2000 sand paper and then polish them with a power buffer and rubbing compound. Then follow up with some finer polish like Meguires plastic polish. A little elbow grease and they will look as good as new and restore your light output.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008