1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Briggs Engine Problem on Spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Cooter24, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I got a Briggs that wil not start. Getting plenty of fuel. Almost seems like weak spark. What could be wrong with this? All I get is an occasional pop from it but it doesnt really try to start Has always started right up for the last 4 years.

2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Spark plug, wire and ignition magneto, try plug first, magneto should come with new wire attached.

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Thanks. Will try to find a new magneto in the morning. Tried a couple new plugs and none of them seemed any better. Any special tools required for the magneto?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Have you checked the spark to see if you are getting spark as it comes around?

Pulling the plug out and touching the electrode to a place on the motor that it will ground out, then pull the recoil. Make sure you let go of it or you will get a little nip. You will be able to tell how much spark you are getting then.

5. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

try the spark first if no spark then the magneto might be junk. the briggs are usally good
    and start right up good luck

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

After check everything that everybody said might look at the flywheel Key I know cpl people has the Briggs and some times would go out time due to breaking the key wont take much put it out of time

7. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Yes , check your flywheel key , sounds like that's your problem . Briggs and Straton have CDI ignitions and I've never seen one go bad and I've worked on a bunch of them ! If it has a recoil start on it , there's a special tool needed to remove the recoil clutch . Make sure you replace the key with an aluminum one like the OEM one . Usually that key shears when the engine comes to an abrupt stop when runnung at operating speed . It's a crank and piston rod saving feature , for such occasions . Those engines lead a hard life on those sanders . Most of the failures I've seen on them were due to no oil in the crankcase ! A low oil shutdown switch is a good idea on them , should be standard equipment .

8. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Where do I look for the crankshaft key? Already checked for soark last night, very weak if it does spark wich is not all the time.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Pull the hood off Then see flywheel nut take that off Then get puller and pull it off

10. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Does it start with starting fluid?? Could be junk in the carb.

11. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

It is getting plenty of gas. Gonna pull off flywheel in between snow and plowing.

12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Replaced the coil and all is well now. Fires right up. Thanks for all the help.

13. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

glad you got it fixed