1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brief discussion with an MTO officer.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyRoyale, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Went to pick up a coffee at the local Tims yesterday with one of our pickups with plow and salter mounted. Literally around the corner from my yard. Parking lot had an MTO dude and a couple OPP cruisers parked in it-kinda typical I guess. :laughing:

I park, go in to get my coffees, come out and the MTO guy is standing by my truck and tells me he's going to save me a couple of hundred bucks.

He already ran my plates and tells me to increase my liscencing to acoomodate the salter and the plow with a load-which I was going to do next week anyways as my stickers expire this month. And also tells me that we have to relocate our front plates to the plow mount so they are visible at all times-which we dont do because we dont always leave plows hooked up all winter and it could be a PITA.

We already relocate our back plates to the top of the salter, which he said was good.

He also said to make sure our pre-trip inspections are filled out, and the truck has a copy of CVOR in it. I showed him all of that, and was impressed with the folder we have in the truck with all the truck and trailer(s) docs.

Most of his suggestions is already common practice for us except for the front plate issue-so its no biggie for us really.

He did go onto to say they will specifically be targeting plow/salt trucks this winter-so dont be suprised if you get randomly stopped by MTO.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. :drinkup:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you yell at him for parking in the handicap spot?
  3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

A CVOR is needed for pick ups? MTO is as confusing as the labor board. You call one person and they say one thing you call 20 mins later and its total opposite.
  4. JohnnyRoyale

Any commercial vehicles is my understanding.

And...theoretically, we have to pull into the chicken coups too when the lights are flashing, even with a pickup truck.
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I just about had a run in with one the other day... he was filling his truck with gas, so I was lucky I got out before he did. He was giving my dump trailer a real hard stare. We are just finalizing our CVOR-A stuff. The guys are not looking forward to the log books.
  6. Grassman09

I thought that was only GM's, like the commercial on T.V.? :laughing:

Thats the one that doesn't have brakes and lights?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Did you ask about the yellow or blue?? Around here everyone is going yellow to frevent any hastles and needless tickets. MTO has been all over us down here regarding plates for some time, now I have welded some washers on the screws for the plated. This way you need no wrench to move the plates. Is the cut off point for the daily log book still 4500kg ???

Well guess it is always good to know that the MTO guys will be asking for there anual fee again this winter.
  8. Grassman09

Blue is a no no on the road.. Use it on your properties all you want. Go bombing down the road and you are asking for it.

Even the citys trucks cannot run there blue if they are not salting the road they are on. I doubt the cops will enforce that but that's what my emergency light dealer told me.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I moved all my plates to the grill. They are zip tied there. Mine is mounted on the lights for the plow but it is a Blizzard and they stay on. Along with the log book you are supposed to have a copy of Schedule A in the truck. All my stickers are high. 2 are at 11K kg. I have 1 salt truck that goes out overloaded and I am working hard to move that salte to my new truck and buy a smaller salter to prevent the over load.
  10. JohnnyRoyale

Truck had both amber and blue. He never mentioned anything.

The whole conversation kind of felt like an infomercial.
    He wasnt about to fine me for anything.
    Maybe his boyfriend gave him a little action earlier in the day. HAHA:laughing:
  11. JohnnyRoyale

Schedule A?

We fill out pre-trip inspection books, not the hours of service one.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I fill out that same book. Schedule A has a list of things you are supposed to check for, like the book has. I was given this from Aldershot landscaping. They told me it has to be in the truck. Also I know a guy who went to the MTO last week and he was given the same thing. I think it is on their website.
  13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yeah we moved plates up front long ago, a trailer plate bracket from napa fits nicely under a fisher mm1 light, just have to bend it down to face the right away. mm2 we just drill a couple holes on under the light, lots of room there.
    And the extra 2 mins it takes to move the plow is no big deal. most out plows stay on, other then the drive around trucks.

Don't forget when you move your back plates for salter or any other reason, you need a light with that. Seen many move the plate and not have a light get a ticket for it.
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a laminated copy in the truck. You have to be able to refer to it. My log books are 2007 and now I hear these are outdated already.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I see alot of trucks with the plate moved to underneath the DS headlight. Would make me cry mounting a plate there. I think I will play just play the poor farmer routine, seems to work most times.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think when they pull you over here you are getting a ticket. You might get the warning if stopped on one of the blitzes. 2 years ago a buddy got 2 tickets.1 for the blue light and the second for not having his shovel tied in. Got off the other 2, front and rear plates blocked.
  18. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

You don't need a CVOR for most pick up trucks as long as you are under 4500KG. But if you are pulling a trailer or mounting a salter or plow that will change the weight of the vehicle.

19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You must be a really good actor. :p