1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bridging on my V box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hydro_37, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a Henderson V box spreader and it bridges the sand all the time. The sand is a little wet but I mix 4-5 bags of salt in a load and it still freezes and bridges. It sucks for someone to have to ride in the back to keep the mix flowing. Everyone in town is having the same type of problems and there is NO dry sand available. Out of 15 loads onlt 6 went througn with no problems. The temps are aroun 5-15 degrees outside
    Any suggestions?

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

salt is only good to about 17 degrees. thats your first problem.

try some mag pellets in there. costs more but will work.

3. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

do you have a vibrator on your V-box

4. hydro_37

from iowa

No Vibe and the salt is good to 5 degrees.
    I have tried a BFH but no luck with that either.

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

rock salt? where can I get some?

6. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

You'll never get the wet sand to flow. On the freezing part, don't leave any sand in it. My sand is dry and I spin off anything leftover if I won't be using in the next 24 hrs. Why isn't there any dry sand available ?? Someone near you has to have it.

7. hydro_37

from iowa

I never leave sand in it and try to spread what I get as soon as I can. It just freezes if it is in the box for more then 30 mins. No one (even the city) has dry material. Everything is stored out in the open. There are a few places tat keep salt under a cover. Te last ice storm was a 2 day sanding event and everyone with a V box had the same trouble. Someone riding on the back feeding sand to the conveyor belt SUCKS

8. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Wow that sucks. Everyone hear keeps it covered. Could you purchase a tri-axle load and the water will run out of it then just keep it covered ?? Almost everyone hear has it covered in the sander too.

9. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

Did you ever try putting a heat tube thru the bottom of the pile. Kinda like masons do on construction sites. Weed burner, propane, and wood and get a nice fire going in the tube. Works for them

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

When I was at the county we used to spray the boxes with a water and soap mixture and that helped for some reason but no one could tell me why it helped or why they did it but that was what they were taught.

11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Do you have an inverted V in the box? We do not run them due to the bridging we find they cause. We have never had a problem (unless the material was left in the spreader after a storm) after taking out the V's.

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Same here on the inverted v. I just took mine out mid season and have had much better results with both sand/salt mix and bulk salt. It sounds like the bigger problem is your suppliers need to cover their product. Everyone around here covers. Obviously, thats going to make a huge difference.