1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by shooters480, Jun 16, 2012.

1. shooters480

shooters480 Member

If you are doing work for Brickman, don't let past due invoices go to long as I did.
    They will not go back & pay. We finally quit sweeping the past due account. They
    got me for $1800.00 & fired us on five other accounts we were doing for them that
    were not behind.
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up Shooters. That is a bunch of crap right there. I have a list of National Maintenance companies that have ripped us over the years. It sure isn't right.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Yet another big company screwing subs. People wonder how these companies get so big...that's how.
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Good luck to them. Get into the rural areas or smaller towns and there simply are not many sweeping contractors. Not too many of us to rip off and they run out of contractors quick. Pretty soon we will only do work for them if they pay us a retainer fee up front.
  5. ygim

ygim Member

Thats bull@#$%, i'm sorry to hear that. Can you take them to court?
  6. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

How did the invoices get past due?

What was the problem that resulted in them not paying?

What did you do to follow up on the invoicing?

Legitimate questions I would like to know, if you are willing to share, since I do work for several nationals and have never had problem getting payment as long as I followed the terms listed in the contract.
  7. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hey Hick's this is Dan with Patriot Sweeping do you know anyone wanting to buy a massco sweeper slide in unit mine is for sale we lost our accounts to someone doing them for $45.00 per sweep rediculous :realmad:
  8. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

V bbbs bss
  9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

$45??? Ridiculousness. I don't know anyone off top of my head. Sorry to hear about this. If I were to venture a guess, that person won't be around long. This is my optimism for you. Keep your chin up buddy.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks, sorry to hear that!
  11. nightowl

nightowl Junior Member

Forty five dollars to sweep a wal mart?who would be crazy enough to bid it that low?
  12. hatefulmechanic

Where was Wal Mart mentioned?

I have half a dozen accounts on one of my routes that are $45-$65/sweep, they take 20 minutes to do and are done 3 times a week.
  13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's roughly 810.00 a week total. After Expenses, doesn't sound very good to me honestly.

14. hatefulmechanic

Well, I took them on to finish hrs up in a route that had some dead time. Next to properties paying 3X but it is good margin since the truck is already there. Plus they take 15 min to sweep ea.
  15. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

15 min to sweep then your not blowing off walks an under parked cars then so the is getting what they pay for with you
  16. hatefulmechanic

No walks no cars in lot 95% of the time. No cans to change either.

One has aisles rest are three pass strips.
  17. hatefulmechanic

To clarify, I do not currently do any work for Brickman, although I have been submitting a packet to determine if the local contracts they service are going to be beneficial (read:profitable)

The accounts getting done for that little are fairly small lots, easy to do and require minimal hand labor (VERY rarely a driver gets out of the truck to hand pick, I think it is one or two lots that have cross trash blowing from a fast food place next door). If I was doing solely them, there is no way it would be profitable, but since they are either on the route or next to an account I am servicing already, and I was looking for filler to bring a 6 hr route to a full 8 with not much more additional fuel or labor expenses, I did them for what the property management company threw the low bid for.

Picking those accounts up landed me a few larger accounts the next season, and locked my contracts in for 3 years instead of 1. Another situation that played out fairly well.
  18. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Lowballin', then we all lose money!
  19. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is no way your properly cleaning a big box store in 15 min.
  20. hatefulmechanic

After seeing some of the replies, and the conclusion jumping that happens when people fly off the handle with assumptions, I can see why most people do not like to work for a national, or think they are getting ripped off, etc.

Lowballing? No. Can you do basic math? $45 per site that takes 15 minutes of work=$180/hr

I can be fairly certain that no sweeper is billing their services at $180/hr, if they are I would like to know the market and I will put four units on the ground in that area immediately.

Where did I ever say it was a big box store? I thought I was pretty clear when I stated

Meaning the lots are small, narrow and can be done in three passes usually.