1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brickman using GPS

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superdog1, Dec 10, 2011.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have a contract with Brickman. I get to the site and use their call in system. Half way through the call, it asks for my permission to use the GPS on my phone to track my location. Since I have nothing to hide and I want to get paid, I said "yes" I just thought this was interesting? I mean, what if I forget to call in until I am home? Does that mean I won't get paid since I didn't call in from the job site? Not sure what to think if this?:confused:

2. They will also use it to look at any other lots you have of your own. And they can not tap in to cell phone gps without a reason by law.

3. ryansplowing

ryansplowing Junior Member

Thats Crazy!

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Yea I was curious about all that stuff also. Used it the other night on a salt run and was wondering about the reasons for it.

5. zman9119

zman9119 Member

I do not know how they get GPS information from a phone call... unless you have an app on your phone to send it in. There are options on 95% of all phones now to opt-in to location based services (mainly \ possibly used by cell carriers to push location based ads). Believe you have to be a LEA to get the ANI-ALI information (mainly the ALI info) from any cell carrier. I am thinking their message is all BS.

6. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Well, It asked me for my permission during the first call. After I hung up, my phone rang. I thought, "Who in the he!! is calling me at 4:30AM??" and it was an automated call asking me for permission again a second time? Beats me if they can do it or not? I guess I tell them they can, they can get access to it?

7. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I would pull up to a lot, call and check in with the system then jump out to fill the spreader. I got into the bed of the truck and the phone rang. Thinking it was the boss I jumped out to grab it since I left it in the truck and it was just them calling back. After the 3rd time I actually listened to the recording and selected yes so they stopped calling me. Thumbs Up

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

it has nothing to do with getting paid... don't worry i always ignore it or say no... not in the contract...

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree if it isn't in the contract and a condition of getting paid I would say no.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i recently put a gps unit into a subs truck because they guy he subs for requires it to be in all vehicles.

he said he wanted it to prove time of service for slip and falls and to track exact hours on lot..

i said to the sub then you should be driving HIS truck.....sub agreed to the terms though anyway and we mounted it to track the subs vehicle at any time via the bosses laptop....no way I agree to that.

11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Brickman

I have a buddy who subs for Brickman, he has never said anything about GPS. I'm going to ask him today.
    On the up side I just stole a Brickman contract at a Condo Community, all my price's were higher. They hate Brickmans service, so keep price's high and get your contracts back one by one. I see them going under soon, doing free work then losing contracts can't last to long.....:salute:

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting how opinions on this differ.......

Form the slip and fall perspective I like it, we do with Navtrak.

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah......I'm sure they're going under soon. LOL

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I do some work for Brickman and never once has GPS been mentioned to me.

I don't know how it would work though if you shut the GPS off on your phone.

15. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I don't think it is an application in my phone. I think it is the cell phone CO using triangulation from their towers that determines where I am. My guess is that Brickman pays them a good buck to release the information. 911 services can also locate you with the same method. Gotta' love technology!

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

17. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

just turned down 2 contracts through brickman, After reading through all the b/s around the net about them I just wasn't sure, no where in the paper work did it say anything about gps though, I did get a return call requesting my info so that if I like they could put me to work in the middle of a storm if I finished up my work.

18. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

19. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

How are you guys going about getting sub contracts with these nationals. i wouldnt mind putting my truck to work as a sub this year, im in northern illinois

20. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

get on brickman.com find the office closet to you, I think theres one out of Chi area, anyhow they just happened to call out of the blue