1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brickman and Lowes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Aug 26, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I spoke with a Brickman rep yesterday for a brand new store opening late Sept around here. I gave her the whole run down about our snow operation and I'm bidding it, seasonal is the method for this location. I have been calling vendors for weeks about this site and it just turned out I called the right lady on the right day...

She emailed and I read the paperwork and it is really quite reasonable. I measured the lot last night, (by hand since its so new its not on google earth) and its 7.1 acres

She also needs a landscape co. and although I'm not in sweeping and mowing I am also bidding it. It only makes sense, year round maintenance if that's what I have to do to get the snow work. I can easily sub it out or put together a crew for end of Sept.

Wish me luck, I know other guys have their eye on this place. I already have the seasonal number worked up, just getting my paperwork checklist in order.

Lets hear your thoughts and feedback
  2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

:drinkup: that is key! Well done! I have places I try to get in for couple years now without a chance, others you call and they fly! All about timing if you ask me payup
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Whatever your seasonal # is, take half off of it and thats whats it'll go for
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Almost worked for brickman last year on a per occurrence basis, for several properties.... the price wasn't bad...... until I read the part where it was capped......at way too low of a # of occurrences, at which point they don't pay anymore.
  5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Matt, Don't waste your time with BFS. They mess around and it's not worth the headache. Now if you can get some work from the local Brickman office, that's a different story. They are very good to work with. Lowes is BFS though.
  6. MatthewG

Help me out Rich, whats the difference between Local Brickman branches and BFS?
  7. wseal

wseal Member

They tried to have us do a lowes in michigan, and its seasonal price was figured by them at 7 plows for the year. We have that in two weeks some years. what a joke.
  8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

They should change their name to Bait and Switch.

Personal experience with them, never again.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've worked with BFS in the past and I will say that it wasn't a bad experience.

Yes the contract is lower than what you think it should be, but it isn't the worst price in the world of nationals.

My contact rep is easy to get a hold of, billing is easy, and payments were always on time. Even with the wording in the contracts to not be liable for accidents, they still don't leave me high and dry if there is any issues and will give you the support you need.

Again as for pricing, it's not horrible, but not the greatest. But, there has been a bunch of local companies scrambling for winter/summer commercial work around here and driving down local prices, and it makes nationals look like a gold-mine.:dizzy:

10. MatthewG

Got an email today from BFS about my sweeping proopsal.

The facts:
    Lot is 7 acres
    sweeping twice a week year round
    sweep/empty outdoor trash bins/blow/etc
    My price $150 a sweep x 2 per week = $300 a week x 52 weeks = $15600

Their budget $275 a month or about $3300 OR about $34 a sweep

:salute: cya later
  11. wseal

wseal Member

that sounds just like them, there good to work for if you are looking to go out of business within a year.:dizzy:
  12. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

matthewg i found a deal on a sweeper truck...then i found out that you have to have damn good accts to make $$$on them so no go. did you still get the snow or are you forgetting the whole sitiation?
  13. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I was just reading your thread and funny thing about your sweeping numbers and the budget.
    I dont do sweeping anyways I would bid it double what you did just because well I know about nothing in the sweeping world.
    we do all the summer work for a grocery store here. ok size account and we are working on the snow its just over 3.5 acres. I was talking to the GM that I have a great relationship with and he told me about the sweeping prices they pay. They pay $39 a time to be swept. This is from a large reputable company here. They do proce snow on the low end but not to bad. I dont understand how sweeping goes that cheap am I missing something?
  14. MatthewG

We didn't have the snow removal chat yet, although after the sweeping situation I doubt it will work out. I also got a price from a reputable sweeping company. Get ready, they quoted me $40 for the lot sweeping! That's how I based my price, I of course do the hand blowing and trash pickup which is how I came up with 150.
  15. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

so instead of doing it 2 times per week every week... just do it 2 times a month....
  16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sweeping in the large retail is not worth playing anymore. Sweeper trucks are not cheap and take lots of maintenance. The guys we hired used to spend 20-25 mins on a 5-6 acre lot. They would do the front every time and a quarter of the lot every visit. That's the only way we could play.
  17. MatthewG

Impossible, as per contract in order to be paid you must dial the IVR phone system you we arrive so the store security camera can take a picture of the sweeper. Sounds like guys already tried this
  18. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I had no idea you had to call a number for the them to take a picture - ride around in circles and call it good!
  19. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

sweeping is not what you think. My wife owns a sweeping company and we do OK. you need to understand that if you are getting $40 to sweep a place all that you are doing is going in at night and picking up what litter you see. Maybe once a week you detail up a area, but you are not sweeping the whole lot. You are just sweeping were you see trash. This service should take 25 minutes at a average Lowes with a new T-500 sweeper. And a T-500 is only $10,000 new. Sweeping is all about building good routes. If you have no travel time you would make a ton of money. So if you can get the mall next to the lowes and the walmart down the street and the costco down the street and the target on the next treet over and than go to the home Depot 1 mile away and do the office depot next to that now you are talking $350+- a night in 4-5 hours. Its not great but it steady
  20. MatthewG

I made the call today to BFS. I did not get the work. She had a "limited budget" The contract was awarded for an amount very close to $22,000 for the season. She called this particular snow removal contractor who came recommended to her.

What? Wow!