1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brickman AKA BFS

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kenworth, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kenworth

kenworth Junior Member

:mad:Brickman and BFS Be careful if you decide to be sub out by them, they are a-holes, my friend had an issue last year with a Lowes snow contract that he was awarded and had a signed contract from them and an error on there part there was already a plow contractor for that site hired by property owner , so long story short he lost it and they told him we can terminate at any time read your contract,
    now this year they pulled some other things with reguards to the october snow storm ot of contract plowing they wanted us to plow and shovel and salt bank of America sited for $50 what are they crazy i made that money when i was 12 years old shoveling driveways
    they are very slow to pay they hold back your monthly payment until the next month so you do not get paid for theservice month until the following month also the first monthly payments are only a portion of the full payment. so you have to lay out money for salt/labor/fuel/calcium and you finally get your profit in march.... They SUCK

2. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Well the secret about Brickman is finally outThumbs Up
    Thanks for the heads up

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Whew, I need to catch my breath after reading that one. Nice punctuation.

Pretty sure that all the nationals are more or less the same.

4. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have about 20 accounts that I service for Brickman (Winter and Summer), they're very very slow on payment but they always pay. The problem with them is that they are too big for their own good.

For example if there is an issue at a site I will literally get 7 calls from diffrent Brickman people telling me about the same problem. By the time I get the last call the problem is already fixed!

Other than being slow and poor communication I have no major issues with them. You're buddies contract should have a time frame in which they need to give him notice of contract termination.

Mike

5. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Ha ^..........

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing::laughing:...Thats Funny...

7. kenworth

kenworth Junior Member

yes I know all about there different reps every time i called there was a new area manager and there calls from different reps kept comming in. Also last year they deducted money from final payment due to 2 calls on a snow storm to clean up where town plow put some snow by one of the entrances bull crap we showed up and it was nothing

8. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

im not sure how bfs is but when my father worked for the branches 20+ years they always paid 15 days on the dot. in later years they started holding a 15% damage waiver till the end of the year, but never once did i have money taken out of that.

been good people, everywhere is different though, different branches run things different ways. i hear as of last year they turned to 45 day payment, but theyre one of the last big companies that wont try and find a loophole to get out of paying, at least in my experiences.

i agree on the chain of command, the turnover with brickman is high...they do pay decently so i dont know why its such a problem, so theres always someone new, and a lot of the supervisors are young guys who arent always on top of their game, so the superintendents and branch managers do tend to check up on things.

my cousin still does a lowes for bfs, on the last storm they overnighted him a check cause the contract didnt start till nov 1st and the snow was on oct 29th and my cuz was leary to do it.

good luck, i wonder why brickman would have wasted time bidding snow services on a lowes where the building owner had his own guy?

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Brickman is GREAT to work for. I always get paid 30 days (although the first payment of the year may take an extra week) never an issue with anything. We took on extra work this year and the job kinda sucks. The manager says to me do what it says in the scope of work, if we lose this guy it will be a blessing to me in the summer!

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Something is screwy with the original OP, and I'm guessing there is more to the story than we know. Anytime I see a post about a national that starts out " My Good Friend" , is usually a red flag to me.

As for the building owner hiring their own company, that's bogus. There are no Lowes, that I have ever heard of, that weren't corporately owned in some way by Lowes, unless it's part of a strip Mall, and I've never seen one like that.

As for payments, I do a Lowes for BFS, and I get paid on the 15th of every month, and on time. I keep in good contact with them, and they keep in good contact with me.

With the nasty year we had last year, BFS was able to advance me my final month payment in February, on top of the January invoice in order for me to pay down my salt bill to my supplier.

This year I was able to slightly negotiate a better payment schedule in order to not have to do that again.

So, as a national, sure there are things that could be better. In my situation/region, I have had nothing but good results from BFS in the previous two years I have worked for them, and have signed up for another year.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

See I agree with the op about BFS. The pricing is low and they ficked around with me for awhile. Even the local Brickman office doesn't like working for them.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

We are not doing anymore jobs for Brickman or any kind of sub-sub out companies. I couldn't be more pleased.

13. kenworth

kenworth Junior Member

Bfs

As for the Lowes location it was with in a property with other stores and the property owner of the location hired his own company for entire loaction including Lowes and bfs did not even know it was there mistake , he has contracts to prove it and e mails to prove it as well and bfs is not doing that lowes this year,
    and another lowes in our area went last year for a crappy $12,000 all inclusive if any of you guys think that is good i guess no one is making any money plowing, i also found out from a former manager of lowes that bfs makes around 45% on the contract and we do all the work and lay out all the money.Take a good look at your pricing and talk to other contractors in your area and you will see for your self they will throw you under the bus and dont think they wont:

14. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

theyre gross margin is supposed to be 20 percent, i know, ive worked there

but heres food for thought, being theyre the biggest snow contractor in the world, it has to say something that theyre not posted about much, and there seem to be more good things than bad said about them, i mean, usm has a negative thread posted on them on plowsite every other day and what are they...number 15 on the list...just sayin :rolleyes:

15. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Brickman did a 192 million in national snow plowing contracts last year, they are doing something right!
    I have heard good and bad about them, I think it depends on which area you are in and who you deal with.

16. dlcequip

dlcequip Member
    from ohio

I have worked for brickman for nine years i have made a lot of money with them and they have been pretty good to me. This year they introduced me to the bfs regional manager. I negotiated a fair three year seasonal contract on two targets and also am taking on some chases bob evans and huntington banks. And negotiated all of them. Brickman has grown the snow plow portion of my company to a hugeportion of our bottom line. I have seen there company change to i used to get paid in fifteen now i get paid in thirty but they always pay and for the most part realy dont argue about my bills. Theres more to your friends story im sure. And so what stuff like that happens all the timethis is a dog eat dog industry the economy and the low ballers dont help things and im telling you the brickman branch i work for doesnt work cheap they add twenty percent on top of my bills i know they do i have seen there numbers. And your probably a guy with two trucks telling all his buddies how you can pay off your truck in one year with one good snow season.

17. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Well put! I dont feel that BFS and Brickman can be compared other then thier name. The two companies opperate differently but contract the same kind of work. The only difference is now they have both sides of the market covered. Every one just needs to really read your contracts and understand them.........:rolleyes:

18. kenworth

kenworth Junior Member

I sent my original message to voice a my thoughts on BFS with the hopes to help other contractors, but what i found out in my area there pricing is very low maybee i should move to your region since the pay better there also check your facts on the 20% do you think they can pay all there managers and reps a salary on you 20% and still make a profit,
    Oh yea I own a little more than 2 trucks i think you got it wrong I just purchased 2 brand new trucks with 2 new western wide out plows and 2 new western tornado spreaders, I also think one of my 4 triaxle kenworth trucks are worth more than 3/4 of your equipment you have listed
    just saying ** dont forget i put the original post up not to bash other contractors only to help

19. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Im not bashing you im just saying that it sounds like the contracts where not looked over enough. All of that stuff that is complained about is covered in the contract. In the end no one forces anybody to sign a contract with them. LOL!!! And also I will agree DLC didnt have to go there about your equipment!

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol, my brotha from another motha! yeah we know all about brickmans , lipinskis and usm. Thumbs Up