1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brick Paver Drive Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Nov 17, 2006.

1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I have an estimate to do tomorrow on a 4 month old drive thats all brick pavers. Very high end and worth more than my home probably.

I watched the house being built and said to myself that whoever does that drive should have a rubber or urathane edge.

So....I get the call today and and sure as stones I google earth the property and thats the one....lol

Am I looking at an issue doing it with a regular steel edge? Im definately going to have them sign a waiver and dont feel like spending a ton on a urethane edge unless necessary. Its probably a 60 to 75 dollar resi account I want badly and could get the lawn as well.

Help fellas!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

backdrag it....

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Now this is just my opion but, to me poly edges just wear to damn quick, rubber edges don't scrape for crap on snow that has been driven over. why not just run yours shoes on that one drive? don't know what type of blade you have but the fisher pop right on and off with a pin!?

4. LLM Ann Arbor

Backdragging isn't an option....youll see why when you see the picture.

What about a piece of pvc pipe on the scraper edge? I think I've heard that recommended before. But I want as clean ajob as possible too.

Im definately going to try the shoes Harley....I have a gravel drive Ill need them on for not too far away as well so I can kill two birds with one stone there. But ill still want the edge as close to the surface as possible.

I have a 7.5 Meyer straight poly blade.

Heres the site.....one in the middle.

Basic Resi's go for 30 to 35 here and hourly rates are around 130 an hour.

Degree of difficulty, some walks in front of the home between drive and home, porch detailing near garage....

What do you guys think pricewise. I know I wont be the lowest if she's calling around. Gimme a price off the top of your head. I know its hard to answer accurately but this is a 75 dollar resi isn't it?

For up to 5"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

And when I say "Basic" resi's none of the other drives visible in that pic are basic.

Basic means double wide 35 feet long. To me anyhow. Subdivision drives.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

7. LLM Ann Arbor

Right on Dog.

Gonna take your advice and experience to heart on this one. Ive been doing this a while and never plowed a drive like this.

Ill cover my bases with the homeowner as well.

Gonna inspect and photo this drive pretty thoroughly too.

I agree with you that I cant see that a urethane egde would be any more forgiving.....but its that poorly installed stone here or there thats gonna be an issue no matter what you use.

Im sure they will understand the limitations and concerns and that Im bringing it up and discussing it should sortof impress them as well. I guess.

Cool.

What would you guys charge for a drive like that.

Thats got to be a 75000 dollar driveway isn't it?

Maybe more.

Their cost to install....not mine to plow...heh

8. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Visit ICPI.com this is a industry site for pavers. If it was installed correctly you should be able to plow it with no problem. The key would have been the proper base so there would be no frost heaves to catch your blade. The web site has answer to your question.

9. LLM Ann Arbor

I'll check that out Bob, Thanks, and The Dog said the same thing and he actually plowed uni-locks facility.

How about a link there Bob.....having trouble finding that site.

Thanks.

Id like to believe a drive and property this expensive was properly installed but the contactor that builds these homes is a hack from what Ive seen on other props I maintain in the sub.

I sank a ztr 3 feet in the mud on a new home first cut because they didnt backfill an area by the home properly before they laid sod.

Had to call a friggin tow truck to get out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

what did we do before google earth?

2days, 2 years doesn't matter. If built correctly, and this is an assumption but not many hacks are going to get a top dollar job like that, you won't have to worry about a brick comming up. Interlocking paver drives will last 60+ years, and the concrete pavers are harder than hard -very durable. If it's made out of Techo-blok it is even gaurenteed to hold up against salting for life!

I would just plow it with shoes on with a 1/2" lift. Pavers hold heat really well and will melt snow and ice like crazy with even just a little bit 'o sunshine. Otherwise a rubber edge works well (except on hardpack)

I think $75 is a fine bid.

11. Grn Mtn

http://www.icpi.org/

12. LLM Ann Arbor

Hey Thans GM.

I was thinking the same (75) especially since Im putting a lot of forethought into the mechanics of this thing.

Yeah....maybe hack was too strong because Im sure they subbed that job out, or the homeowner hired a private contractor.

But some of the quality Ive seen on these high end homes in that sub is pretty amazing for what they pay for these homes.

13. Grn Mtn

hey LLM, I forget to mention that circle drive is a prime candidate for a pair of prowings:bluebounc

14. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

i dont know, i would be nervous. I always have turned down driveways that are pavers or gravel so I dont have to deal with the bs, goodluck

15. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah, and I have another one thats a real circle drive.

Well.....update. The job I had to estimate was the one to the left of the big one. Google Earth! Anyways....while there I went next door to the paver job and probably sold him.....hopefully.

We spoke for a while and I estimated it with and without the circle portion.

35 and 65 for up to 5"

Estimated the left one for 35 up to 5.

Easy job there and I hope to get both the lawn and snow deals at both so I lowered my price a tad.

But 35's my minimum.

I just know theres alot of flyers going on in that area for 30 so i didnt want to be too much higher.

16. MarksLand

MarksLand Junior Member

LLM,

I have been plowing a pretty large paver drive, with cobblestone edge and apron for several years, without a problem. I use a 9' Fisher plow with steel edge.

I think as long as the driveway was prepped and installed correctly then you should be all set. I installed the one we plow, but I know of several in our area that are plowed in the winter without problems.

Good Luck!

17. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Put your shoes on, and go for it!!!
    I think you would be fine, just with the shoes. Did you by chance check out the brick work, while there? Any thing lifting yet?

18. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah JC I looked it over. Looks like a good install. Like I said it ended up being the house next door that called me but I went to the paver house and spoke to the owner for fifteen minutes. I hope to hear from him soon.

19. snowcan

snowcan Member

Yo, LLM, be carefull of leaving rust marks on the brick, if the the brick is grey or light coloured you will not get rust stains from a plow off without acid (nasty job). Just make sure this is not your first call so that you can wear the flash rust that occurs between snowfalls off the bottom of your cutting edge.

20. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Well, good luck, and hope you get it.