1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brick driverways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 96f250, Feb 15, 2007.

1. 96f250

96f250 Member

has anyone ever had a problem plowing the brick paver driveways like pulling up pavers. I was told the other day by a friend that its not good to plow brick paver drive ways and i did 2 driveways yesterday and i had no problem. Should i keep plowing them or just use a snwoblower??

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

The pavestone distributor near me recommended a poly or rubber edge. A friend of mine has 1 where he puts his shoes on for. There are also several people on this site who plow them with a steel edge and have no problem. If installed properly you should be ok. Personally I try to stay away from them.

3. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

Back drag and you wont have a problem. Installed correctly or not ,you can catch them and pop them out. I try to stay away from them.

4. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I agree with the above. If they are installed properly you shouldn't have a problem, however even the most perfectly installed don't get maintained as they should be, so you do run a risk of catching them and tearing them up. I sugges a rubber edge, we have a truck with one and it is designed to just do driveways that are pavers or stone. Good Luck!

5. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Prolly makes a big difference if you are into the deep freeze of winter and everything is frozen solid.....
    similar to a dirt drive before it freezes.....if you catch a little you usually catch alot !

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i've plowed a brick drive for two years..with steel edge and the city plows brick roads that are over 100 years old with steel i never had any problem, but its humped in the middle and i can't scrap the tracks (the drive i plow is also over 100 years old!!:D btw i never picked up a brick!

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Brick Driveways

OH OH Brick Driveways the Eleite driveway here society has even seperated US in Driveways Statis Symbol? Gravel in the most Common like Mine Stone is the next Step as WE have lots of Small Car Dealers that have Stone sales lots some Law? I think? Hot Top is the Average but Brick is the Eleite Driveway! usually found at High Buck Homes I personally Don*t have any Brick Drives but DO have ONE Brick Walkway which I Do w/ my Blower I remember watching the Mason install it Quite a JOB to Do One Right! & in Chatting w/ the Mason an Ole Guy! He informed ME that theres Two methords One w/ the Flat side UP but More Expensive! & Better on EDGE & its the Base--SAND--thats the important thing! as He explained its like a Tyle Floor lasts a Life Time! but Very Exspensive! He Chuckled & refered to Brick Drives as Movie Star Drives? as they Use a Special Brick thats twice as Expensive as Regular Brick as their Sprayed w/ shiny top coat to protect them & most? Brick Dealers only Sell them by the Pallet! I was giving Thought to Doing Mine? 75 Feet two Cars Wide! & the Fuel Oil man came! & He Took all my MONEY! So mine will Stay DIRT! Ole Tower

8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

the customer i have did it himself, and got used brick (from the town ) .. he used crushed limestone as base...but heres the kicker if he hauled them they were FREE !!!!!

9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Brick Driveways

thats a DEAL You don*t find very often since We have chatted in referance to Brick Driveways I have been looking at a lot of local Brick buildings & I have noticed theres a lot of differant Size & Types of Brick & I visited a Masons Suppy & I never knew? there were so many differant Kinds of Brick! WOW! makes Me feel kinda DUMB? & I thought?? GAS was Priced HIGH? I guess I*LL stick to DIRT Ole Tower

10. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Hey crb 2500, where you at in Ohio? Just wondered because we got a lot of bricks down here in the area I'm at (Athens County) and just wondered if maybe you were nearby or if you are in another part of the state.