1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brian Back from Baltimore--Logistics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CMerLand, Feb 21, 2010.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Hey Brian,

Decided to start a new thread rather then lose the conversation in the other you started about your trip to Baltimore. The pictures are great, and everyone wants to know how many dollars you pulled but I'm far more curious on a logistics level. We were just as blasted in NJ so there was no way I was heading anywhere but would like to know the logistics of your trip.

Item 1--Prior contacts or drive and pray? When you left your home were you certain of finding work or hoping for the best when you got there? I know HarleyChevy drove down from Maine (actually, I told him I couldnt make him drive all the way to Jersey and he ends up in Maryland, go figure?) and ended up not finding the pot of gold he had hoped for. Were you originally planning to plow with a fellow contractor then got tagged by the city or were you freelancing the whole way and fell into it.

Item 2--Paperwork--You contracted with the city and I read that you had a ton of paperwork to fill out. Understandable, but what were they requiring so that we can have those papers in a file should the need ever arise to carry with us or have faxed on demand.

Item 3--Billing and hour recording--Im assuming you were paid per hour per piece of equipment. How were these hours recorded and turned in to be paid to the city? Were you paid upon departure or are you on the 30 day really means 60 to 90 day government pay plan? Was there an inspector/call in arrangement to monitor your work and recieve next assignment or did you just record the hours and they sign off?

Item 4--Base of operations/lodging--How many guys did you take down with you and where did you house them during the storm? Hotels are great if there open, but that kind of storms can close everything. Again did you have a site planned or did the contractor/city help arrange a location? Did you have access to a garage for maintenance/repairs if needed or where you on your own out in the great white nowhere? Even if you had no breakdowns this time, would the city/contractor made space available to you if needed to get inside to make a repair to keep working?

Item 5-Payroll--Curious how you paid your guys for the duration of the trip. Were they only on the clock while operating or did you pay them a break rate/travel time rate when in transit or not on the machine?

I'm sure many on here would be glad to sit in on lecture at some future industry gathering to hear how you handled these many items but my curiousity is up and I cant wait for that to happen. Pictures are for the kids to go gee whiz thats cool. I'd love to hear the business side of the story to figure if this is something I would consider doing in the future.
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Item # 2 ~ Im sure he had to fax over his truck / equipment info ( make, model, & rental rates) Certificate of insurance with the City of Baltimore as a third insurable party. Workplace insurance forms, liability insurance forms ect... Staff info & SIN numbers perhaps?
  3. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Great questions, I'm eager to hear the response.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

When I lived in Baltimore I remember driving by a hotel called the Towson East. Their sign said that they rented rooms by the 15 minute increment. Now that I think about it, they were probably catering to snow plowers. You know, guys who just need a quick nap to catch up on sleep :drinkup:
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i wonder if they made him get a buisness licensce or work permit to work in Baltimore, or were they just happy he was there?
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

IDK, 15 minutes isn't a very long "nap". LOL
  7. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Was my pleasure to talk with you and gotta admit, loved your enthusiasm about making the trip. Just didnt see it making sense for the hours I would have been able to offer you. Ended up using two guys off of plowsite and they were awesome, one guy from allentown, PA and another from Hazelett, NJ. Im actually curious how long it took you to drive down from Maine to Maryland? These guys were within a couple hours so it made sense. Hell, I was even reconsidering hiring you when the rear wheels fell off my dump truck towards the end of the storm, but thats another story.
  9. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

Ended up taking about 16-18 hours to get there. Drove thru the storm and got a flat tire in the Bronx. Didn't realize where we were until I asked the guy plowing the gas station where we had stopped. This was about midnight, I was wondering why there were so many people standing on the corners that time of night during a snowstorm I got out of there as fast as I could, that was after a can of fix a flat, enough to limp away. Scared me just a little bit,:help: me and my buddy that I had with me are about 2 of the whitest rednecks you'd see. Didn't fit in in that part of town. The biggest time we lost was finding a place to fix the tire. Had to fix it, my spare was a different tire, couldn't plow with it.

But the ride home was much better, about 12 hours. May not of made any money, but we met some nice people and got to see some parts of the country I've never seen.
  10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I am subscribing to this because this is what I was interested in also
  11. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Bumping this back to the top.
  12. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Is Brian still sleeping from the Baltimore trip?
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sorry, I just heard the alarm clock go off. Been kinda busy (looking at new houses and property) and no I didn't make enough money for that,lol. Send a check in the amount of $500.00 payable to me and I'll tell ya what I know and who I talked to. ;)
  14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Spoken like a true business man!... I like it!
  15. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

GREAT post. I agree to keeping the competitive edge. Let him brag about the trip, but please don't expect company secrets to be revealed online, I applaud you for not responding, job security at its best.
  16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

hey you sound a lot like a seminar speaker here! payup
  17. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Hey Brian lets not get into finacial details. I tried to go with you but it did not work out. Would I have made enough money to go with you bringing a 1995 f250 with a western 7.5 pro plow with box ends. Enough money meaning covering expenses, and a couple hundred a day?
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Quite honestly, your straight blade, especially with boxed ends would have been useless down there in the area we were at. Collin's XVT and my Fisher extreme V did great because the sides are very tall and would through the snow a bit further and well, they "V" to blow threw the 3-4ft snow drifts.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010