1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breather Cap

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PPS. inc, Dec 11, 2010.

1. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Whats the point of the breather cap on my new pro-plus stright blade? Do I leave it tight during use or leave it half way screwed on so it can breath??? I got it tight right now.... Thanks for your help.

2. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

I knew there was no known information on this. Everybody is clueless about breather caps.... Hope I got it rt.

3. timberjack

timberjack Member

If it's a breather cap, tighten it until it's good and snug, and it should breathe through whatever vent is provided.

When i bought my last ultramount, the breather cap was missing from the parts box. I just got a plain differential/transmission breather from a heavy truck supply shop, and used it. I think it was a regular 1/2 pipe thread.

Not a great picture, but this was like what i used. Tightened it up so it was more than finger tight, and stayed there just fine for 5 seasons
    [​IMG]

It's pretty much a straight pipe with that crimped topper to keep contaminants from draining in. The crimped piece will move slightly allowing air or oil to escape from the chamber if it needs to be vented. It either will leave there, or else make it's own way out of a gasket, oring, or other sealing surface which you don't want.

I recall Caterpillar used to say in some of their service department advertising, "If oil's getting out, dirt is getting back in"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you realize this is a just a message forum? People helping other people out? It is NOT a tech support chat funded and staffed by a product manufacturer or parts supplier? You need to adjust your expectations slightly, and lighten up. Saturday overnight isn't exactly a super busy time here.

The point of the breather is to prevent a vacuum situation in your reservoir tank as you draw fluid down to fill the lift cylinder, and also prevent excess pressure too.

Leave the breather tight. It will allow air in to the tank as necessary to avoid pulling a vacuum, but will allow some pressure to build which is a very good thing. By allowing pressure to build when the tank is full, it does not need to allow air in every time you draw down fluid. This is important because when you draw air in, you draw in moisture too. By reducing the amount of air, and moisture, drawn into the system you reduce the likely hood of a freeze up.

Also, when checking fluid level, slowly unscrew the breather first. That will release any pressure in the tank with out spraying fluid everywhere.

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

NICE!:drinkup:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Even when it's provided for free they're not happy or it isn't fast enough. :rolleyes:

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like one of my parts customers.....:realmad:

8. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

2COR, question for you...pressurizing so air doesnt have to be drawn in makes sense, and gives the pump a bit of head pressure to keep it happy, but if one used a moisture removing breather, which was more free flowing, would it suffice? The Donaldson TRAP is rated to remove moisture to -40*F (don't ask me how), but I'd imagine it will be more free flowing.

The one that's on now has a nice blue tint to the filter material inside, from the blue western oil.

The reason I ask is because I work in hydraulics, I can get the TRAP dirt cheap, as compared to going to a DD/Western dealer and bending over...

9. 01lariat

01lariat Member

That OEM breather cap doesn't let air in, It allows air out. It is a one way valve. I unscrewed mine and found I was pulling a vacuum in the reservoir. I thought this to be odd so I investigated. Turns out the dealer didn't install the pick-up tubes all correctly. One was laying at the bottom of the reservoir. I had some issues with what appeared like air in the system. My wings would walk either way pushing or back dragging. Without the pickup tube, the short nipple it was supposed to be on, I doubt could pick up oil without sucking air. Once installed now my air problems appear to have subsided, and there isn't a vacuum created in the reservoir after a short test run. Maybe I fixed it?