1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breather cap - MM2

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dandog2500, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dandog2500

dandog2500 Junior Member
    from Meriden

Hello, I have lurked on this forum for a while now and have gathered tons of good info. I decided to register because I can't find an answer to my question. Any help would be appreciated!

Again this year I am off to a rough start! Last season, when the first storm hit, I hooked up my MM2 but forgot to pull up the jack leg and drove away...that didn't work out so well by the way. I had to sawzall the bent leg off...So this year, after the first storm, My brakes went in my F250, pedal went right to the floor. Next I realized that the top of the breather cap was missing!

My question is, can the Fisher breather cap be substituted by something else that serves the same purpose? i.e. off brand. I didnt want to spend $30 on a breather cap if i could get something cheaper that does the same thing.
    I saw another thread on this site about getting a brass plug 3/8" NPT and drill a small hole in it. but that fix seemed temporary.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

2. LON

LON Senior Member

That duckbill breather is designed to hold positive pressure in the system to keep water at bay due to low friction cylinders. Without it expect water intrusion.

3. dandog2500

dandog2500 Junior Member
    from Meriden

Ya I didn't plan on using it without the cap. I was just wondering if there was an alternate fix rather than ordering the OEM breather cap.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

So short answer is no? Seems like there would be some other similar hydraulic function in the world.

Just had to replace 2 because pumps iced up with brand new fluid change. I could blow and suck thru the old one like it was just an elbow, where new one could barely move any air volume.