1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breaks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

'89 Suburban...Front breaks grabbing, lot's of break dust. Just before the vehicle comes to a stop, the whole thing studders. Some guy told me diverter valve, others bad front breaks.
    Come on fellas, give me a quick inexpensive repair!!!! Just one time:D . Or I can spend the rest of the weekend getting it right:( .

2. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Brakes

Have I told that I can't spell either???

3. carsrus

carsrus Junior Member
    from Mass

OK my friend, try this.

Jack up the front end or one wheel at a time. Loosen one of the brake lines at the master cylinder, try to see if the affected wheel now turns free, keep loosening the brake lines one at the time at the master cylinder. If the affected wheel now turns free, you have a bad master cylinder. If not, now loosen the fitting coming from the frame to the flexible brake line and see if the wheel now turns free. If the wheel is still locked, tighten the fitting and loosen the bleeder on the caliper, if the wheel now turns free you have a bad flexible brake line, if it doesn't turn you have a bad caliper piston that doesn't retract or the caliper bolts or slides are rusted not allowing the caliper to return.

Process of elimination, start at the master and moving your way down to the wheel. Don't forget to tighten each line before moving to the next, good luck.

4. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Good thinking Carsrus! I am gonna remember that one!:)