1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

breaks sticking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EricD701, Oct 4, 2010.

1. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

97 Chevy 2500 my back breaks were sticking but I knew that the system needed work so I have done the following:

New drums, new shoes, new wheel cylinders, new lines all. Also did front rotors pads calipers and lines.

With everything being new thought I would have no more issues but the back breaks still stick.

Anyone know what it might be?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

When you say "sticking" are they locking up when brakes are applied.

3. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I'm sorry yes thats what I ment

4. Brian Young

How tight do you have the rear brakes adjusted? The wheel (with tire on) should do around 3 or 4 full rotation's before it stopped on its own when the rear wheels are off the ground and truck is in neutral (so you can spin them) Thats the rule of thumb I used to use when I turned wrenches. Also when I had my old Ford with rear drums, when there was moisture in the air the rear drums would lock up for a few stops.

5. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I have tried to make them a little extra loose and that works for a few days then they adjust them self back and it starts grabbing again.

Maybe I should check to see if the drum surface is out of round? All though I don't feel any pulsing to indicate that.

6. Brian Young

Hummmm, well, just checking here, are the rear brakes on the right way....the thicker of the pair of shoes need to go toward the rear of the truck. Other than that IDK, it sound like you have replaced anything that would be a problem. If the drums were out or round you would get a pulsation when braking, if the front rotors were out then you would feel it more in the pedal when braking. Make sure everything is lubed up well including the adjusters, make sure the springs are in correct.

7. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Yes the shoes are in the correct way; it was doing it before I did all the work so I was surprised that it was still doing it after.
    I was hoping it was something I overlooked but doesn't seem to be. The springs and adjusters are all new too I tried to cover everything I could think of.

Thanks for your help

8. Brian Young

Could be a bad brake proportioning valve. Those are usually located near the firewall on the frame.

9. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I'll check it out. Thanks

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of adjustment. wheels should only spin 3/4 to 1 full rotation.

To the OP,

check to see if the locking tab for the self adjusters is engaging properly and that the star wheel is not worn.......

11. Brian Young

No it isn't! If it only rotates 3/4 of a turn thats way too tight. 3-4 might be a bit too free, lets say 1-2.5 rotations. lol

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Brakes.......

13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Negative Batman. 3/4 to 1 turn. You should hear a distinct drag of the drum shoes. Any more rotation than that, you're overtaxing your front breaks, calipers, and rotors as they are now subject to taking on a higher load to stop.......This also causes premature wear and tear on the front braking system.

4 compleate revoloutions of a wheel? your break peddle must be going to the floor and the E-brake useless..... :dizzy:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic