1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking in a new edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Moonlighter, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey guys I've herd a few suggestions about breaking in a new cutting edge, but I need more opinions, I put the new cut edge on, first day out with it was today. I do some subdivisions and holy **** it about chattered my teeth out doing the streets, drives were okay, sky drives suck but that's life, and back bladeing was noticeably cleaner. One guy said to grind some metal off the bottom and side to start the wear pattern, but to me that's just wasting money. I thought maybe someone had some cool tricks for breaking it in, or I'll just have to plow with it until it wears.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

just keep plowing till it wears

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

35 MPH down the local paved street is how I do them. Only requires about a mile in each direction. :nod:

4. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Dear god that must be one hell of a fireworks display.. How do you keep the sparks from messing up your front end?

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I usually run them on bare pavement in the fall forward and backward 3-4 blocks or so to wear in.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Are you guys serious?

I just plow...breaking in an edge sounds about as dumb as it gets.

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That could make for an entertaining video doing 35 mph in reverse for a mile, the facial expressions of those passing by would be priceless w/ the sparks flying :yow!:

Honest officer, I was just breaking in my new edge...Why, how do you do yours ? :D

8. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I have always broken in my cutting edges by simply plowing with them. I think any other way you are just wasting valuable life of your edge.

9. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Cool, thanks guys I got the point. As this is my first year on my own, and maintaining my own equipment, I am learning new things everyday. The chattering teeth wasn't an issue on the second and third plowing with the new blade. Back dragging was noticeably better. Maybe it was a dumb question but for me the dumbest question is the one never asked.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto

You're kidding, right?

11. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Am i the only one that has shot grinder sparks az a nice finished piece of metal only to come back in a week or two to see the metal shavings starting to rust? The sparks coming off the cutting edge are basically the same thing. And with the bare pavement there is no moisture to cut down on the sparks....

12. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I agree completely, at roughly $350 for new edges for my Western MVP Plus this sounds pretty silly to me:confused:

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I do the same but in a Wal-Mart lot when they are closed.