1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

breaking contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lawnkale, Dec 22, 2009.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

has anyone out there broke plow contracts. I signed a few contracts this year that i beleive that i cant handle. One of my biggest cotracts took so long to sign that i got scared and signed other work. However the customer is one of my biggest in the summer as well. But as far the new work i signed What to do???? do i put them on back burner or do i be a man and call them and explain the situation. What can they do. I will give them notice a few week notice. Is it better to be the guy to bail on contract or be the guy to do shity work.
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How bout find a sub to help with it and split the dough.
  3. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

maybe you can find some one on this site that might want a couple more hours
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Getting some subs lined up would probably be the best thing. Unless you can get another truck set up and put a driver in it. This way you save face. Keep your existing customers happy, and build the client list.
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, try and get a sub or 2. A lot of guys out there are looking for extra work.
  6. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

If you can handle managing it with subs, do that.

otherwise....Sometimes its best to just swallow your pride, man up and be honest. Tell them the truth, dont leave them in a jam, and you will walk away with respect intact.

Ive had to do it.
  7. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

if times are as hard in Indiana as in Michigan a sub wont be hard to find
  8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Sub or get more equipment and more manpower. Don't quit. Grow the business.
  9. braylen

braylen Junior Member
    from Indiana

give it to someone else make a little profit and walk a way i sure would take the job like a lot of people good luck
  10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicHopefully youve set your new work acquired to include equipment acquisitions. Is it per push or a set price. Control the work in house,:nod: get the equipment and labour set up and get er done. Dont be a quitter.:nono:
  11. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

lawnkale, where you at in Indiana? I'm around Kokomo and have some free time I could help you out ( if it ever snows here, lol)
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Get a sub, but realize you still need to over see the work

This is a bad situation, that can be turned good. If you let that big one go, you loose income year round, thats a bad thing

if you give the others the notice, and leave them, you loose future income from them , plus word can get around how you left them high and dry on christmas.

If you can afford it, get more equiptment and guys. But honestly a snow removal operation takes planning and time, to get it right , this is the wrong time of year to buy more equiptment, and hire GOOD guys that are experianced...the good ones have jobs, and the good priced equiptment is sold. besides its the end of DEC. only 2 more major months to go and snow season starts tappering down.

Get subs to do the work, and hire one extra guy to help you out, so you have time to double check the subs work. Do them right and good this season, and you can keep them for next year possilby. the quick isnt the best always, so get a good contractor to help you out.

you might be able to balance it out with both equiptment and subs. stick a truck on there site so you can plow and over see it, salt it as well.. but let the subs speed the work up
  13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Most contracts have a 30 day cancellation period. Either you or the client can terminate the contract with 30 days written notice.

I did this earlier this season and it worked out well.
  14. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I'd find a sub, that way you still look good, your customer doesn't have to know anything is wrong. Lots of people willing to take on some extra work, if you were closer I'd help you out, I'm always looking for more, you probably could even find someone on this site.
  15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Where at in Indiana? In this area there are plenty of good guy's that would take the work.. Like these guy's said, get a sub and over see it. If it is close enought o me I'll help you out.