1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking chains on the Bobcat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Love2fish, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Love2fish

Love2fish Junior Member
    from 80302

Hi all,
    My buddy is using his Bobcat 873 to help clear the abundant snow here in Colorado. He just got it and is having issues with the chains breaking on the back. Seems the clearance with the body is pretty minimal.
    He's got 8mm chains. Any advise on this binding/ breakage issue?
    He's running 12-16.5 tires.
  2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I might have an idea, I know that for my tracks to clear on my hew holland I have wheel spacers. I have needed to use these with both my grouser cross bar tracks and my mclaren rubber protracks. If the clearance is too close I would think that the chains are hooking on the body and tearing right off. One more possability would that if he is lifting the fronf wheels off the ground and all of the power is being placed on the rear wheels. The chains may not be able to take that kind of a load. If thats the case I would raise the boom a little and just tip the bucket / blade more when scaping down to keep all of the wheels on the ground. I know that my tracks grip alot better when I do that. Just a couple ideas, I'd start there.
  3. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

turn the rear wheels inside out to get more clearance.