1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Break In or No Break In - Honda HS520AS

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chefwong, Dec 22, 2004.

1. chefwong

chefwong Junior Member

So I just got around to setting up my Honda HS-520 snowblower. The manual didn't mention anything about break in . Filled it up with 5W30 and ran the motor on for 15 minutes just to make sure everything was alright.

Should I just leave it alone and just use it for the first Nor-Easter ? Or should I go ahead, fire her up, let the engine do it's thing with no load, then tie the auger handle 1/3 load for 20 minutes to break it in ? After about 2 hours of use, I'm planning to give it a oil change and put synthetic in it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  2. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

follow the manual

use the exact oil they recomend, honda does not seem to need any break in.
    I had a large honda generator and no break in was required. use conventional oil in the begining to let the rings seat and pick up bits from start up. I would switch to syn. after one good storm. don't forget the fuel conditioner.

3. chefwong

chefwong Junior Member

Manual suggests and the unit came with a bottle of 5W30 oil. Dealer recommended 10W30. I was thinking 10W30 too.........seems like everything is being speced for thinner oils these days for better EPA rating's .