1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Break down your plow pump/motor assembly anually

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ducaticorse, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I bought a second hand plow with a truck I purchase a couple months ago. Is a somewhat decent looking MM2. Well today I went to clean out the resi and filter so I had a decent baseline. I broke the two bolts that mount it to the frame. The two bolts that hold the motor to the hydraulic block, and the stud to wire power to sticking out of the motor. This thing was FAHHKED. I managed to repair everything today, but what should have been an hour long job, took 5. I am just happy that I went through all this today, instead of in the middle of a storm.

It is quite clear that the last time this plow was broken down was several years ago, and even a torch wouldn't loosen any of these corroded bolts except for one.

Moral of the story, break down your pumps and grease the bolts periodically. An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure...
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yep my boss had me swap his plow from 1 truck to another. and i serviced the sehp style pump when i was done and even flushed / filled the rams.

i got dark green almost black fluid out and filter 90% pluged with crap on outside. magnet in inside was 3x thicker from buildup stuck to it. i even got 1/2 a coffie cup of sludge/junk/crap/gook from inside the pump body housing.

thanks goodness i was able to get the drain and fill plug out of the body of the pump housing.

best advice i can give you is copper antiseize works best for high water contact artea's over the std aluminum / silver based general old anti seize stuff.

i even use the copper on the power studs threads for battery conections.
  3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

did the same to my motor.....like you said spend an hour on it in the fall or spring and it will go a long way!!