1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Break down story !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ondagawood, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

I heard a noise when I started the truck up this morning (5am) I go out and do a few customers noise is weird and now its louder and making me nervous. I hurry home open hood and just then the alternator seized up and smoked my belt too ! :realmad:

Ok, so now its about 7:30 am wife goes off to school; my little red car has an expired inspection & registration sticker too. I have no choice, I wait for my 5 yr. old to get up, eat, get dressed I take the car, get an alternator, get it in and I'm done by 9a. Oh and while this is all happening the snow stops and changes to sleet then rain then everything stops.

Hope thats it for this season !

Anybody else have a break down story ?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, last year, we had a skid steer tandem pump blow, grabbed the parts, one of my mechanics put it together, and bang the second pump went, when everything was said and done, $6000 later, that really sucked
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

That's no fun at all! What kind of noise was it making?
  4. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Noise like a bad bearing, I think ? its tough describe, it would change with engine speed too. Now I've got the belt squeak to deal with, but I know WHAT that is, its pulley alignment, I'll fix that later.
  5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Had an wiper motor went out late night so I put Rain X on glass it help alot with heater blowing at glass, got the wiper motor replace $50
  6. RH31379

RH31379 Member

Finished a driveway this morning and all of a sudden the plow doesn't go right. Come to find that I snapped the steel that wraps aroun the angle piston off and the pin fell out.. A grade 8 bolt later back in business until I can do some welding
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you only had one breakdown you haven't been plowing long!
  8. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Rain-X - great idea ! Ya know what else could help, only if your wipers ARE working, maybe you've done this already I don't know. Get some extra washer fluid hose and wrap some around the radiator hose, you'll have warm fluid !
  9. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Yeah I guess so, its the start of my third year, although I have had bad batteries for my remote :(
  10. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

My yellow light quit, does that count?:confused:
    Had to remove entire mechanism, take out bulb socket, remove wires with ends from socket and solder the ends on the wire... works now but was a pain.
  11. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

hey ondagawood sorry bout yer alternator ,stuff happens but you say you still have belt squeck? unless you modded something under your hood or changed something ,the pulley probably not out of alignment if your alt. locked up your belt was probably still spinning on the seized alt. pully, therefore your belt (if its the same one) is more than likley "glazed"change it instead of putting belt dressing on it. serpentine belt? look at the ribs on back side of belt see if you got cross rib cracks ? yes ?change it.check your belt tensioner (belt off) with thumb and 1st finger see if you can detect bearing noise thats all i can add
  12. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

yea got one from last year. try plowing then push snow in to snow bank and them BAM! no 4wd! 4wd actuator went. went to get other truck to tow it out and that wouldn't start....so had to fix it in the snow bank. went to napa $80 part.

knew 4wd actuator was about to go as it would take 5 mins for it to go in to 4wd lol
  13. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I had a few things go wrong with my blower, nothing major though. I saw a front-end loader operator today driving with the loader arms all the way up this morning, couldn't figure it out. I meet him at the intersection, turns out his bracket snapped for his old one-way highway plow he had mounted in place of his bucket. Crappy day for him...
  14. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Thanks for reply, earlier this year I rebuilt both alternators and I think this ONE had bearing failure. But to get back to my original NOISE I had this past Summer, I changed everything I could to get rid of the "squeak", long story made short it IS belt alignment. So I put a washer behind the alternator pulley and that worked ! I have to come up with something different this time (maybe) :confused:
  15. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Out plowing passenger side manual lock out goes. Try'ing to finish my route then two houre later the other lock out goes. All this between 12 & 3 in the morning. Parts store don't open til 9 then $ 296.00
    later and 1 hour in the cold ( no garage ) All fixed.
  16. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah the washer fluid house is wrap around the heater hose it's set for that. never need use wipers that much but last night was a snowing heavy alot.

PLOWTIME Junior Member
    from ct

I only had 4 breakdowns today what a way to start off the season. First our little S10 alternator goes he tried to finish the job he was on because its the only truck that fits down the alley but went dead. Had one the guys bring a spare battery down and replace it and get it back to the shop. Second a brake line goes on our f 350 dump no brakes at all. Get that back to the shop. Next the winch goes on one of the atvs and that one of the snowblowers plowing is so much fun!
  18. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Was out plowing for the first time ever last night. 2 minutes before I finish salting I hear a loud bang and a clunking from under the cab of the truck. Got out and looked, the front drive shaft was laying on the frame just in front of the Transfer Case. Unfortunately when the U Joint failed I was moving and the shaft started flying around under there, it took at the shift lever linkage and looks to have ripped a small piece of metal from some kind of plate under there. It's at the shop right now waiting to get looked at, hopefully it's jsut the shaft and linkage that have to be replaced. I'm going to be really unhapy if I have to buy a new transfer case...
  19. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

My divers side window quit working and the bulb went out in my amber light. Easy fixes. I feel lucky.
  20. ferio82

ferio82 Junior Member

wow. reading this makes me feel better after what happened 2 days ago.
    So i'm coming home from picking up 2 pallets of salt. 3 blocks away from my house in the middle of a busy intersection, as im about to turn left my fuel pump goes. luckily there was no one behind me at the time and with the weight of the truck and being on a hill i was able to roll backwards and park on the side of the street.