1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Break Booster

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Oct 22, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Wheres the best place to connect my brake booster on my `79 chevy K10?

right now I have a T connector on my PCV (or PVC) line. The intake line comming off the back of the carb is too big for the hose going to the booster. Any sugestions...maybe a T connector comming off of where the tranny vac line is connected?

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

The vac brake booster usually draws vacuum directly from a tap on one of the intake manifold runners. Your intake should have a port or pipe plug in one of the rear runners.

Joe Padavano
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

It NEEDS to be below the throttle plates on the carburetor. The stock location is usually a fitting on the intake behind the carb.

Above the throttle plates on the carb would cause some really funky operation of the brakes.

Does anyone remember the 1970-72 Chevelle "Cowl Induction" hood? (the one that all the aftermarket hoods are based on, but the one with the little flapper door that opens). It used vaccuum from the top of the carb, above the plates.

The door is vaccuum powered. It is open when the engine is off (spring pressure) and closed at idle, low throttle and cruise speeds. In other words, vaccuum is high and holds it closed at that point. When you tromp the throttle, the door opens because the vaccuum has dropped. The door now lets cold air ram into the carb from the base of the windshield. It closes again when the rpm levels off to cruise, or when you back out of the throttle.

Kind of the opposite of what you want in a braking system!! Manifold vaccuum is full time, carburetor vaccuum relies on throttle positioning.