1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

break away curbs !?!?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doc_77, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

i have been wanting to ask this question for a while but i kept forgetting.

any one know what a break away curb is ?
    me either, until last time out plowing. i was on a different route then i normally do and i was informed about break away curbs.
    i was told to be careful , if i hit one it would come up easier then a parking block.
    WHO THE F*** would come up with an idea as stupid as break away curbs !?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

lol ok im done ranting :)

2. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have an account where the parking lot has break away curbs. They are approximately 2 feet in length and are butted up to one another all around the parking lot. I think they were an cheaper and they decided to put them in 20 years ago. I have had the account for two years now and I have only kicked one out of place. They are barried in the ground on the backside of them by about 3" with dirt and grass over them to hold them in place. I think it was a cost factor for the company????

3. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

i have never seen them before , the whole office complex has them . even the islands were break away !
    i was scared to death to even touch them with my plow !

4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Break away curbs?

This is a new one to me also.
    I've installed tens of thousands of lineal feet of curb and gutter and never heard of this.
    Interesting.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Me thinks it a gimmick to sell the newer (crappy) way of laying curb- you know paving the road then coming by with this hot form machine that extrudes curbing on the road edge, the crew shovel out the stuff over driveways and cut the edges down. There's no bonding from curb to road so it's not break away it's just poorly done. Every road around here that gets repaved with that new system has the curbs torn off at the first snow by the town plows.