1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Breach/ Non Performance Contact Changes

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by rocks&blocks, Dec 4, 2012.

1. rocks&blocks

rocks&blocks Junior Member

I am not sure if I even worded this right.

Is there a period within the season (month) where companies may be changing out contractors due to lack of performance and not being happy. Or is this something that can happen throughout the season and is real just hit and miss.

I had a conversation with another contractor that was getting himself into some trouble because he couldn't handle the work load.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good enough info for me. Send out a polite letter stating your services along with your contract.
  3. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

In my neck of the woods all contracts have a termination clause. Usually 7 day or 30 day allowing either the contractor or client to terminate the contract after that time period from written notice. BUT in my experience as soon as the contractor gets that notice they either stop showing up or do really poor work just to show they are their and the client will be wanting you to pick up the service at a moments notice.

So send em a letter introducing yourself plus a quote / contract. Tell them you can cover them at any moment (only if you truly can) and they may just be calling. We have picked up a lot of contracts mid storm or as all our equipment is being parked because the lot next door to the staging site is still covered and we are clearly finished with our lots.
  4. rocks&blocks

rocks&blocks Junior Member

Thanks, I have noticed that there are some sites that have stayed uncleared for quit some time. (may or may not be part of the arrangement) I think I am going to send some info out and see what type of responses I get.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I think it all depends on the contract and the expectations. We lost a site this year because we just couldn't clean it enough for them, even though we were complying with the maintenance company we were contracted with.

I notice you are from my neck of the woods, where in Western Canada are you from rocks and blocks?
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

That seems pretty common, the maintenance, accounting etc. write the specs. You price based on those spec. Then get constant complaints from the end users, life would be a lot easier if people would just be honest with expectations, or not hide one line in a 20 page contract saying "maintain slip free condition", and tell you at bid time plowing is at 2 inches. If its "maintain slip free conditions", its clear lot period, don't BS to get a better price.
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Oh and this one was a charmer too, the funny thing is as far as I know, no formal complaint was ever filed against us, At one point he even called me and told me the place was the worst looking on the block....problem is we do both neighboring banks.....and I did them myself.... Reality is I think they were annoyed that they lost their old contractor due to decissions higher up, and figured if they whined enough about it they would get him back (which they did). The hilarious part is that I have been getting a lot of phone calls about this contractor not preforming on other sites (rocks and blocks if you are from area I will give you a list of them) so they can have him, and good luck to them.
  8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

He said he's from the Calgary area(rocks&blocks)
    funny only complainer was the p.m.? he missed his friend(old contractor) lol