1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Branford sanders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Dec 24, 1999.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I went to an open house at a local construction dealer last year, and saw a truck with a Branford sander on the back. It was a cool little spreader. Has anyone used these before? Also,does anyone know of dealers for them in CT? Thanks,<p>Bryan<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If a product was show at a dealer's open house i bet he sells the product. If you want to know about a bradford sander ask the dealer if any of the people he sold them to are willing to talk about them. <p>Geoff

3. snow

What happened was one of the contractors there had one on his trucks, the dealer does not sell them.<p>Bryan

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The bottom line is that almost all small v box spreaders are very similar and work pretty well. the engines are reliable, and they all use electric clutchs which also work well. The exceptions are Curtis who uses a pony engine(5 hp) over hydro. Smith industries and downeasterner who both offer an electric motor option.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. GeoffD

then why didn't ya ask the contractor about them?<p>Geoff

6. snow

I would have asked the contractor, but, his truck had no company name or advertisements on his truck. There were also many people there so I couldn't find out who it was.<br>Bryan<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com<p>Happy New Year!!!

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum.Snow, I have a Bradford sander,they are out of Walton,NY.I to haven't seen any others and wonder why.It is a great little unit,stainless,it's light weight and low profile make it a breeze to see around and it doesnt squat my 3/4 ton becaause it's only a .9yard unit.It is big enough to do all my accounts once without reloading.I know this is an old post,but if you want any info I'll dig up my manual and give you what I have.Think more snow everyone!

8. plowking35

from SE CT

Hey John<br>Welcome to the forum, dont waste your time with little snow boy, he needs a spreader for his bicycle. Soe day when he gets older he can buy his very own snow equipment.<br>What powers your spreader, is it electric or gas. I have a smith/harder and it is an electric unit, and I love it.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. John DiMartino

The spreader has a 5Hp briggs Quantum engine.It looks like it was lifted right out of a push mower-then they added a bigger fuel tank and a chain to the gearbox.I used to use an Airflow SS 1.8 yard w/8.5 briggs,I am amazed at how good the bradford works with only 5hp. Hey plowking35 I'm from Walden,NY and we just got 2-3'' thursday so I feel all warm and fuzzy after using my equipment.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Is that anywhere near Poukeepsi? If so you need to hook up with John Parker from NY SNow Pros. He has a coated salt, that works magic.<br>We were forcasted for 4-7 and ended up with 1 inch. Way to go weathermen. I have seen that spreader before, but the cost is almost the same as a full size unit, so we went with that instead. I have an airflow unit also, on a 3/4 ton p/u. Its a 1.8 but we only put 1 yard on the truck.<br>Dino<br><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Dino,<br>Don't those forecasts bite? They've been wrong here, too. In the last 3 weeks they've called for over 3&quot; on 4 occations and we got nothing, a little salting maybe.<p>Oh well, I'd rather have them call for 7 and get 1 than the other way around!

12. John DiMartino

I am about 1/2 hour from Poukeepsie,and I'd like to talk to him about the 0 salt.I bought the bradford used,so I dont know what it costs new.Do you?I paid 2200 and it was 1 year old and used twice maybe,It's like new.What do you guys spead with? I use salt/stonedust mix at 1 to 5.It doesnt make mud when it melts and gets wet,but I think sand is cheaper. <p>----------<br>John D<br>

13. snow

This is to Dino, don't go nosing into other peoples business. If someone responds to my post, you don't have to yell at them. About the bicycle comment, I don't need one cause I have enough snow removal equipment as it is!<br>Bryan<br>

14. GeoffD

Snow, look you are going to have to take some sh-t, because of your age. Dino has a lot of knowledge in snow removal, and more knowledge in ice removal than myself. <p>You have asked some good questions in the forum, only you have also asked some stupid ones. I will also admit that i have asked some stupid ones myself as well as some stupid post.<p>The things you need to understand is that every plow and sander is designed by an engineer or a group of engineers. They are all well built. Each product is designed a little different then others, because each engineer has a different idea on design. When you said you wouldn't buy a Diamond or Meyer plow because it came off in two steps, you have got to understand that this can be good. If you are lucky enough to store you plow in a garage a Minute Mount would be great for you. When you get your first plow, you may realize the advantage of the two step install/remove system.<p>So what do you have for equipment?<p>Geoff

15. snow

Ok, I will admit that most of my posts can be stupid. But with limited knowledge of some aspects of snow removal, I'm trying to learn about the best kind of plows/sanders.<br>My equipment is as follows:<br>*2 snowblowers; one two stage ariens w/ tire chains, and a single stage snapper<br>*Small fertilizer spreader for walkways<br>*various shovels,ice scrapers<br>*for bad conditions, I can call up to three friends with tractors with plows<br>*I also have many friends that plow, just in case<br>Not to bad for a 15yr old.<p>Bryan

16. GeoffD

how do ya go from job to job? Are your friends going to get you out a jam when they are dealing with the &quot;big one&quot;? How many jobs do ya have? The other thing is i bet your first truck is going to be used with a plow, so you may not have much of a choice in what you get for a plow.<p>Geoff

17. snow

We haven't had anything bad yet, but the way it works is they can drive, and I help them because they don't have any snowblowers. I don't know about brands like Hiniker, because no one around here owns them. I already have a few options lined up for a truck. Regarding the meyer/diamond plow, not many guys have them around here, and the ones that do have not had that great experience hooking them up.<p>Bryan

18. GeoffD

what type of truck are you looking at?<br>brand, size plow or no plow?<p>How do you get from job to job on your own? How may jobs do ya have to go to?<p>Geoff<p>

19. snow

I've been looking for an F250, w/wo a plow. If i did get a plow, it would either be a Curtis snowpro300, or a western. I'd also get a western pro-flo2 if i do any sanding/salting. I'm also looking for used stuff.<p>Bryan

20. GeoffD

See with used plow trucks you have to be open to almost every brand. You might not want a Diamond for your frist plow, but if you can find say a 95 f 250 with a diamond for 11K and 95 f 250 with a western for 15K and they were both in the same condition what one would you buy?<p>Like i just bought a 93 F 250 HD in great shape with a fisher plow, only i would have rather had a diamond. <p><br>Ya still haven't told me how ya get from job to job, or why ya two blowers you can only run one at a time.<p>Geoff<br>