1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brandnew concrete sidewalk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireside, Nov 4, 2014.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have a account that just replaced sidewalk 21 days ago with another section still no poured as of today. I'm looking for options for ice control products. My normal ice control product is calcium pellets but im worried about damage. The location also does their sidewalks sometimes during operation hours appling there own ice melt product. No ice control is not a option as they are a busy location.So lets hear product suggestions.

I plan on drafting a letter in the am to address my concerns about concrete damage and liablity. I wil also address any additional cost in ice control vs my normal product.

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

...........:popcorn::popcorn:

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

X2….........

We havent had a good hot topic this week.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Shovel it only, that's the only guarantee with concrete.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea,,,not a new, how to bid thread in hours.

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

nuke it , dont look back
    forget about the old wives tails
    concrete is made with calcium

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

so using your logic, the human body is full of blood on the inside, just as good on the outside.

8. Defcon 5

I would just use Salt....Don't waste you money on anything else.....Thumbs Up

9. Defcon 5

Your using Logic when referring to his post..........:eek:.......:laughing:

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The only time Ive seen concrete pit and crumble is applying too much salt time and time again. I used to sub (wayyyy back) and we did a Lowes and this guy put so much salt down every storm the parking bumpers were basically hollowed out by spring,lol. We use Hero or ROBO melt (can't remember which it is, but a picture of a Capt. America on the bag,lol) and have for years now and zero issues with concrete, even grass for that matter.

11. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

freeze / thaw cycle . calcium stays wet in crevices where salt freezes below 20* ?
    fast thawing heaves the crete ?
    chalk the scaling up to a hot load or bad batch?
    i poured my own sidewalk in late november 2009 and nuked it every storm since . its like new to this day

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

I work for a concrete company and yes we add liquid calcium to mixes to help them set up quicker if it's cold or rain is pending. some contractors don't like us adding it in from the plant and we bring bags of calcium flake with us and add on site. Short of end-dumping salt on the ground i don't think light saltings will hurt it. i have put salt 1/4 in thick down in areas to avoid a potential call back to sneak in a few hrs of sleep and had nothing happen when i go back in spring.

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

thank you .someone knows what they're talking about here .whew

i say nuke it . any problems ? prove it !

14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Just pour hot water on it, it will be fine.....

15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

were building a propane flamethrowing prototype as we speak . should be any day soon

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Beleive it or not I have seen this. It was normal propane tank for a grill made into a backpack and they were doing walks with it. It was very interesting and cool but I just figured the hot water would turn to ice in no time

17. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

calcium should remedy that

18. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

X2...Beat me to it!

19. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

on that note... the best beer invention i thought of in college. I was getting sick of using gas to start bonfires and the price of gas. After we had an inland hurricane go through southern illinois a few years ago and had more down trees than we knew what to do with. Take a propane grill regulator and a 5ft piece of 1/2 in black gas pipe.
    Cap the pipe and drill a few (5-7) small holes 3 in apart with the other end adapt it to the regulator, Turn gas on and light and put in the bottom of the pile, open beer and wait. PULLOUT when the fire is started. I know what everyone is thinking but the new regulators have back flow valves built in and it is actually as safe as a big bon fire with beer and propayne goes. better than the old method of dumping gas on the pile, little gas on a 2X lighting and throwing it on the pile.

20. Defcon 5

First off Concrete is Porous.....That's where some of issues could arise...The crevices that you call them are called control joints.....

Scaling is also caused by over finishing concrete...There could be many reasons why concrete fails and Salt will not be one of them.....

Stick to Assphault and leave the concrete commentary to the Big Boys....:laughing: