1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brand wars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nepmgmt, Feb 27, 2006.

1. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

I am fairly new to this site but have come to see that every one has there opinion to the brand they like the most. this is not trying to start a brand war but i was just curious (may be the lack of snow) but why you like your brands the reasons why

2. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

Western

western for us,
    1) Great customer service reps
    2) Location of dealer for supplies
    3) quality of product
    4) last thing that we ever thing of is price.

western is one of the best and is always expanding there line of products or improving them. our local dealer here is great all he will sell nothing else, and he has sold others but whent to western about 5 years ago and never whent back to anything else.

Quality of product is #1

Service reps- will do whatever it takes to make you happy,

Price- although we rarly pay attention to price, they are usually priced good for what you want, no fancy wings, airflos, or ultra new material.

dont get me wrong we use meyers too but they are mainly the larger plows that we use, Agressor X series on International 4700's

but western for everything else...

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You mean there are other brands in New England besides Fisher.....:jester:

Quality product
    great and close local dealer
    Lots of local dealers
    IME quality oriented and customer oriented company
    Local company with a good history in their product.

I am very pleased with both of my Fishers, they are the only plows I have ever plowed and see no need to change. It's a big investment these days to buy a new plow, and changing brands can be a major risk. My father used several brands in his day and preferred the Frinks and Fishers for serious plowing.

While I like some of the newer advancements of other companies, they're track record and/or design does not appeal to me. I want a trip edge style, and I want a proven design that I don't have to worry about failing from normal use mid storm.

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Blizzard period. Time saver - money maker.

Ken

5. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

trycountry and just me that is what im looking for not just i like this brand but why u like that brand. once more people post u can tell what company's are doing right

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

9'-2" Boss V's for me...

Quality product, dead reliable and heavy duty...
    A dealership five mins from the house...
    Quick hydraulics...
    Simple design... I swear anyone could fix it if something went wrong.
    The snow goes where you want it... V-plow accuracy...
    Excellent stacking ability (can push up piles higher than the truck, 8'!)

How much more could you ask for?

Got them both for good deals and made sure everything on them was identical so they could swap from one truck to the other without any hassles at all. Quick hitch could work better (mine are the old RT2's and have a lot of useage so things wear) but since I have another truck to drive in the winter I leave the blades on unless the truck is needed for a different job and needs to travel.

7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I agree with justme on the fisher. Living in Barrington I am sure you have seen the abundnace of fishers. I would say figure out your closest dealer and go with it.

8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Ive been plowing 11 years and went to boss v plow last year. Iknow Western is good also. I would not reccommend Meyer i had constant trouble with them, i thought is was normal to carry spare motor, a b c valves , switch , and spare E-60 pump behind seat in case i couldnt fix it in 15 minutes. Go to a hyd. repair shop the day after a snow and see what they are working on and buy something else. I would also buy from a dealer with in half hour drive in case a breakdown. A meyer repair man told me 1 time buy Red . Still i would carry spare hose, fluid, and trip spring.

mike

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Could you tell me a little about Fisher plows im now running boss v. No one in my area has or sells a Fisher.
    thanks, mike

10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I use western. I like it, it's full trip and so far reliable.

Instead of buying whatever people here suggest, buy whatever is readily available.

Brand X might be a superior plow, but if the nearest dealer is 140kms away, I wouldn't buy one unless you had a spare for parts.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dealer support, vehicle compatibility, Contract requirements, these are the keys. Cruise the Forum. You've got the links to research the offerings, and the member sites to view the pros and cons, by brand, by the users. There is no right plow, they all have their following.
    Find out what local dealer offers the best support and check out their product and price. Balance quality of product and suitability for your application against price. And keep in mind that if everybody sells their parts, they must use a lot of parts. Establish a relationship with the dealer. If he knows your name and you're a steady customer he's a lot more willing to stay late when there's snow on the way an you need something.
    I prefer a Vee-blade with double acting wing cylinders, down pressure, full deflectors, touch pad control and a s^#%$t load of ballast, and have the dealer support to satisfy my cravings.

13. AUDRAIN PLOWER

AUDRAIN PLOWER Member

Hiniker Still The Best

I perfer the hinikers the best . they have a tall moldboard and they have strong springs.Durability is key to snowplowing as we all know.I have had one of my hiniker plows 10 years and two states and just know replaced the moldboard because i punched a hole in it last season.two hoses and a few lights and thats it.another reason i perfer the hinikers is easy hookup and no f#$%^*& chains.heavy built and always ready for snow.i ve seen local city trucks and commercial guys run western and they just luck to light maybe thats why those guys have a new plow every 3 years r so. 2002 K3500 8 1/2 hiniker

14. AUDRAIN PLOWER

AUDRAIN PLOWER Member

Hiniker Still The Best

I perfer the hinikers the best . they have a tall moldboard and they have strong springs.Durability is key to snowplowing as we all know.I have had one of my hiniker plows 10 years and two states and just know replaced the moldboard because i punched a hole in it last season.two hoses and a few lights and thats it.another reason i perfer the hinikers is easy hookup and no f#$%^*& chains.heavy built and always ready for snow.i ve seen local city trucks and commercial guys run western and they just luck to light maybe thats why those guys have a new plow every 3 years r so. 2002 K3500 8 1/2 hiniker

15. AUDRAIN PLOWER

AUDRAIN PLOWER Member

Hiniker Still The Best

16. AUDRAIN PLOWER

AUDRAIN PLOWER Member

Hiniker Still The Best

17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

FISHER PLOWS,

Been using them since i was 8 years old at my dads office, my dad plows that lot for overtime with the company plow truck (its a surveying company) not one problem with either fisher that has been there. Can't wait to get my own!

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Basher has some good points- the thing to do is to find who your local dealers are so you know what you have for support. The closest Blizzard dealer to me is the next state south- over 1 hour drive. Western dealer is about 1 hour west or 45 minutes north., Meyers, boss, snowway... no idea.

Then find the limits of your vehicle- if you have weight concerns you can rule out some plows (like Blizzard and Hinniker for example).

Reviews are helpful, but also read the boards for the specific plows you're interested in before making a purchase. You want to know that the average Meyer guy carries almost an entire plow system for a spare.... you want to know about the issues concerning Blizzard wings and hitting curbs or freezing in position. You Also want to know which V blade has what advantages and what disadvantages. You'll find that out reading the problems and complaints in the forums.

Fisher is a simple design that has basically been unchanged in over a decade. The plow itself has not really changed in well over 20 years. (until very recently) My Old Speedcast blade from 1986 will replace the blade on my MM1 for example.

And as to carrying spares- I used to carry a spare hose and ATF fluid. That's it. No need for spare valves, spare springs, spare relays.

Valves don;t fail in the field on Fishers like that, springs don;t fail on trip edge plows as they do on full trip plows. (they do fail in time, but almost never have effect on finishing your route.)

As long as you watch the plow and lube/clean it you'll know when pins need replacing long before they fall out in use. (goes for ANY plow).

Only had 1 relay go in my MM1 in 7 seasons, carrying a spare IS a good idea, but they are so reliable it's not really necessary. And honestly I only carried a spare hose because I knew one was worn and in bad shape but was too lazy to change it. It lasted another 2 years before blowing, and the cause of the blowout was a Grand Marquis coming the other way nailing the plow.

Also Look at the plow controller styles- I like the classic joystick, some like hand held things, some like the strap-it-to-the-seat style thing. Sometimes you have options in the same make of plow, sometimes you don't.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  19. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

around here we have dealers for every plow close by so u see every thing i am not asking for advice on what kind of plow to get i am more wondering why u like your plow your truck and so on if you get what im saying why are you with the brand you are with or if you have had problems with a brand

20. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I think i told you my problems with meyers

mike