1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand spankin new or seasoned vet ? (Subs)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Oct 24, 2009.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I'm just curious , When you hire a sub do you like or have better luck with the new guy that has never plowed a flake of snow or the seasoned vet that has been plowing since before your grandma was born ?

While i don't hire subs ( I'm one myself ) I am usually the one that get's to train , look after , clean up and in general deal with all the new guys on my route. I have my preference but i just wanted to hear what you all thought about new VS old subs.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll take the new guy eager to learn the way you want it done anyday.
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

No subs here either. But as for off-season operators I will take The new guy everytime. Trainable.

Older guys are set in their ways, and I hate cleaning up a mess after someone with "Experience" has been through one of my lots.

I do have an in-house training program for all my plow and loader operators. They all go through 10 Hrs of class room training, then they-one by one get taken through thier routes.

A first time guy will go through all the class-room, then the drive through. But we add plow truck operation, and before they plow a flake of snow, they must complete a ride-along with one of my top operators.

I started this system last year, and it worked out great. I had a guy that we thought would never listen to us, or would just not pick up what we were preaching. He ended up being one of the best plow operators I had last season. It was all because of the preseason training and he was out ALOT last season.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ask me in January, LOL. I went with the "new guy" over the seasoned vet this year for one of my trucks. He's shoveled for me for the last 3 years and has always been reliable, punctual, and trustworthy, the best qualities IMO for a plow operator. We're starting training next week, and I have high hopes! :)
  5. wheelmanm80

wheelmanm80 Member

IMO new guys are only as good as their respect for your equipment and your business. if they dont have any respect your repair list will be long and expensive and your customer base will drop a bit. i dont have anything against using a new guy but you have to know they respect the job. its all fun and games till you have to replace a 2500 dollar custom garage door or a 5000 dollar section of curb!!!
  6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I'm surprised people are leaning to the new guy.

I'm the same way though. You can teach a new guy how to plow and do things correctly. The 15 year vet does it his way and get's fired a few weeks later. :realmad: Very rarely does a good sub with experience go looking for a job.
  7. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i would rater have new guy's, they won't have bad habits yet, and besides anyone that is any good is still with someone unless they went belly up. if you have someone with good potential, it should be worth the time to train him your way, then take good care of them so they don't try to steal your accts, like someone thats been doing it for years might do