1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand newish truck - help me decide

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Q101ATFD, Sep 30, 2007.

Brand New-ish Chevy or GMC?

1. 2005 "Rounded Front" GMC Sierra

7 vote(s)
  2. 2003 "Avalanche Eyes" Chevy Silverado

1 vote(s)
  1. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Hey all - I'm getting ready to buy a new(er) truck so I don't snap a t-bar or cv joint with my (heavy) new-ish plow. For starters, I know that GMC and Chevy are the same under the skin, but I want to know what you guys would buy. Also, the two trucks that I'm looking at are almost identical...

First is a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (reg cab, 6.0L) W/T that a dealer is selling off of a lease. It's in great shape, with 60,000 miles on it. I can get it for $14,500.

Second is a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD (reg cab, 6.0L) W/T that is a private sale. This truck has 43,000 miles, and from the pictures, looks in just as good of shape as the Chevy. This guy wants $16,500 OBO.

Neither of the 2 trucks have any warranty left besides rust and emissions. I'm stuck because I like the look of the Chevy front end a lot more than the GMC for those years. Should I go with my instincts and get the newer one with less miles, or the one that I think looks better? I take good care of my trucks, so I know they'll both last for years and work well for plowing. What would you do?
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

personally id go for the newer one with less miles. when i got my truck i thought about gmc too but didnt like the looks...but now i really like those gmcs. as for snapping t-bars or cv-joints i dont think you should worry about it...unless you are super hard on your equipment. just dont plow like a maniac and you wont have any problems. also the plow alone wont break those parts.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For me that would be an easy decision. I would buy the 2005. I am driving a 2004 Chev and if I had my choice I would get a GMC but the price was right and a truck is a truck. From the inside I think they are the same, at least the seats are.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

FWIW, I much prefer the nose of the Chevy, but they are really the same exact truck. The mielage is about the same when you look at the age difference. What I would look at next is the cost to register the 2005 vs the 2003. Here it costs and arm and a leg to register a new truck, then it drops gradually each year. So an 03 would probably cost about $150-$200 less to register.
    I drove a 6.0 to 285k miles, beat it like a rental every day of it's life, hauling equipment and pulling 10k trailer. Last I heard it had about 315k on it and still going strong. So don't worry about the mileage. The 6.0 will live nearly forever as long as you keep a modest amount of oil in it and change it if you think of it. The one I speak of hadn't had an oil change in 19k when I got hold of it, and they were running 15w40 in it for some stupid reason. I changed it myself every 5k with 10w40, didn't think it would like anything thinner after eating 15w40 for too long.