1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand New WideOut With Immediate Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Second Nature, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

I just had a new WideOut installed on my 2012 GMC 2500 today. Before I could get it home, the plow quit angling right. It goes all the way left, but not right...no matter what I try. When I hit the right-side button, the pump runs but no plow movement. The plow raises, lowers and scoops fine. Lights work fine.

Suggested causes?

2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow, having the same issue with our Blizzard 810ss, it works sometimes but more then often not.

Subscribe for answers to try on our plow too.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a bad valve....I just put a new wideout together the other day and it did almost the same thing, on that one we replaced the s11 valve.
    I can look at my book at the shop and maybey give you an idea which valve to try..

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The S5 and S6 valves are responsibe for left and right movement. My new wide out refused to angle left the first time I used it. When I tried to go left it sounded like the motor was free wheeling. Turned out that the right turn valve S5 was sticking open and allowing the pressure to bleed away. I just hooked a jumper to the S5 valve and turned the current on & off a bunch of time until I heard it start to click. Then everything started working fine again. If it fails again I will pull the valve and look for debree or perhaps just change the valve.

5. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Bottom line is a brand new Western plow which doesn't work. I'm going to call Western and discuss it with them...ask for some form of compensation. This little issue means a 200 mile round trip and 5-6 hours out of a work day. Needless. I'm not worried about the fix...I know that's an easy solve for the service guys. I was hoping to hear this is just an anomaly and often self-correcting with use. Not much of a confidence builder on the Western WideOut.

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

You just heard that a guy jumpered the solenoid on and off a bunch of times and it started working...go unbolt the motor positive and cycle the right controls a bunch. I could see how a cheap solenoid/valve might stick a little at the beginning.

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Was this Plow Installed by a Western dealer????....If so...Take it back and have him Fix it..Simple as that...Yes, it sucks..But thats Life....I wish all my Problems would self correct...Has not happend yet....:nod:.....:rolleyes:

8. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Yes, it was a Western dealer install. I don't in any way blame the dealer. The plow operated normally when I drove away. 65 miles later the problem developed. I put this on Western's shoulders. Problems occur and companies must do the right thing. I will expect them to make the fix, and compensate me for my additional expenses...especially since the plow hadn't even made it home.

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The plow has a two season warranty. I'm certain the dealer will make any neccesary repairs to correct the issue. ***** happens, that's why there's a warranty... But, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to compensate you for your time to bring it back to the dealer...:rolleyes: If it's that inconvenient, you should move closer to the dealer. It's hardly Western's fault that you live so far away.

10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I understand its an inconvenience......But, They are not gonna pay you a Dime for your Inconvenience....:rolleyes:

I just had My F-250 in the dealer for Warranty Work....It was a Huge Inconvenience for me....Should Ford pay me for my Time????.......NO....

Its a Bummer you pay good money for something and its not working right....But, its most likely an easy fix and you will be on your way.....Have a Great Winter.....:salute:

11. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

I won't hold my breath...learned that a long time ago. I also learned this from being in business: If I sell you something or provide a service and my mistake causes you undue expense, then I pick up that expense. I wouldn't have the brass to look someone in the eye and say "sorry about your luck".

Lest anyone wonder, I'm not at all angry about this matter. I know it will be made right. My plow will work fine soon enough. I'm confident that Western will come through with what I ask. If the plow was a couple years old, I'd jump on the repairs myself. As 100% new, I want Western to do it, and cover 100% of it.

By the way...I'll stay where I am now. A little too much trouble to move all my operations.....

:waving:

Matson: I had one of my trucks in for warranty work and GM wrote me a goodwill check for $500 cash. That's what I call service! ;-)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  12. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

Late update:

At 10 am I went out and tried the new plow. Same result. Stuck in left angle...won't go right. So I raised the plow up and here's what I did. Using both thumbs, I repeatedly alternated between the left and right angle buttons as fast as possible. Basically I got the plow twitching left and slightly "rebounding" right. I did this for many seconds. Suddenly the plow "broke" right and began moving. I operated it through the full range of motion over and over again. I took it full right and full left angles...it did not stick or have any problem. I have operated it repeatedly without any further symptoms.

I'm a long way from declaring the issue resolved, but at least the likely culprit...a stuck valve...has started working again. Time will tell!

Thumbs Up

13. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice!! Hopefully you are in the clear now.

14. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Western has all kinds of issues with metal still being in the valve body on there pumps from the milling process. I bought a brand new pro plus and they had to replace the whole manifold due to metal through out the whole thing. Mine would move left to right going down the road from the wind and when plowing straight it would walk left and right. My dealer replace it and haven't had any issue since.