1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brand new v plow$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by osomany?s, Apr 10, 2013.

1. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Would love some feedback on who is paying what to subs that own an 8.6 brand new mvp western on an hourly basis?thanks

2. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

And of course location

3. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

in central ohio im getting between 60-80 per hour for vplows or expanding plows

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

since when does what kind of blade you have play into what you charge per hour.

personally I'm charging the same per hour whether I'm running an 8' straight blade, 7'6" v blade or a 9'2" v blade or whatever plow I have.

I just made the switch from an 8' straight to a 7'6" v blade before the last snow fall of the season and I charged the same rates and I plan on charging the same rates this up coming winter.

explain that to your clients. I got a different kind of plow so I'm gonna need to raise your rates....:laughing:

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I think you need to re read his post

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's when you try and start selling them on per time or seasonal. If you make yourself more productive you can actually charge less and be more profitable. Around here subs generally get $10/hour/ft of blade.

7. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I would pay a sub more for a v-plow, more for a expanding plow etc. If they dont milk the job they are worth more. As far as clients go, you just increased your productivity with one of these plows therefore you just increased your profit margin per hour.

8. mud

mud Senior Member

Would you charge the same per hour if you had a loader with a 14 foot box too?

Why would you switch to something that costs more, and cuts your time on the lot and still charge the same hourly rate. You just gave yourself a PAY CUT!

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

sorry guys my way of doing business is just that, my way.

my rates are given to commercial clients as X per hour. that's with a snow blower, straight blade, v blade, skid steer, etc. whatever I have to get the job done with a min of an hour charge each visit.

that X per hour never changes. if I show up with something larger I get the job done sooner but still charge my same X per hour with a min of an hour charge.

so if a truck with a straight blade takes me an hour I charge X. if I bring a v blade and get done in 45 min I still charge X. if I bring a skid steer and get done in 30 min I still charge X. where X is the same amount each and every time.

10. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

prsport should maybe use some glasses my question was between a contractor and a sub i really dont care what you charge the client a v plow is much more efficient than a straight blade resulting in clearing lots quicker making them more valuable its common sense:mechanic:

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Your question was fairly clear. In Chicago the going rate is 60 to 80 also.

12. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Thanks to all those that replied with a simple answer to a simple question!

13. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Sometimes i think its me but then i realize no its them!!!

14. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

well to answer your question then I wouldn't pay a sub anymore for a v blade or loader than I would a straight blade or snow blower.

I'm sure things are done differently in different locations but the speed of which one can clear a lot is of no real value in my neck of the woods. as long as the lot is cleared by the time the location opens for business and is cleaned on a regular basis through out the day if its still snowing clients are happy.

we do commercial lots roughly every 2 inches. commercial businesses in my neck of the woods aren't gonna necessarly pay more an hour for someone with bigger equipment just to have them clean the whole lot in 30 min vs an hour. there is always parts of a lot that aren't used. you start at the end that is used and work your way the unused end. so there is no paying subs more either.

15. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

People in your neck of the woods can't answer the question. Which is WHAT DO SUBS WITH V PLOWS EARN, AND WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED?
    I have a 9.2 v that i get 80/hr with on Long Island, NY. Kept my rate the same from last year when i had a 9' straight blade to demonstrate how much better the v is and prove its worth. We plow tight condos where a straight blade is possibly the least productive tool imaginable. I knocked hours off the time to complete the lot and the customer got a much cleaner lot faster. Everyones happy. Hoping for $90/$100 next year

16. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

sorry I don't reveal my numbers much on these sites.

but if someone were to hire me as a sub I would charge them what I charge any other client for snow removal.