1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brand new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MACSNOW311, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MACSNOW311

MACSNOW311 Junior Member

i am brand new to plowing this year, i run Lawn care company with my father, we have been in buissness for seven years in Buffalo, NY and am asking for any tips on how to bid and things to watch out for. any help would be appreciated thank you. also i am really just plowing residential for my first year.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Know your costs before putting bid together. Watch out for butthats and the old lady with gnomes all around her drive way. Get a good look at the driveways before snow flies, mark anything you don't want to hit. And have a back up plan for when you break something.
    Randall Ave and FredG like this.
  3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

Yes, when snow covers the ground you cannot tell where the drive ends and where the grass starts. I used to just use a blower and shovels on drives, so I didn't really need to mark much (still staked a few random things), but with a plow I'd mark as much as you can, especially your first year. I also used to keep a folder with photos of each drive before it had snow. It would come in handy to both make sure I didn't miss anything, and to just check out the property. Good luck.
  4. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

5. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Know your average snowfalls so you can bid seasonal, Are you going to be salting and doing sidewalks? LoL, Be ready for that lake affect. How many do you want to take on? You may need some equipment.