1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new Snow Dogg MD won't lift

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jc@douglas, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jc@douglas

jc@douglas Junior Member
    from jersey

As the title states I bought a brand new Snow Dogg MD plow a few weeks ago for my 2010 GMC Sierra 1500. I finally got around to installing it this weekend however I could only get the plow to lift once. Left, right, down/float work no problem but when I try to lift it only lifts far enough to make the chain tight and then you just hear the motor running and the plow will not lift. The controller blinks 3 times which I know means to check the green wire going to SB valve but it must have power because you hear the pump run it will just not lift.

Any help would be great before I contact snow dogg directly.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it to a Snowdogg dealer, the warranty will cover it.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed on taking it to the dealer since it's under warranty. But I'll take a shot at it being a stuck valve. If the motor is running but not lifting the plow, the pump is cycling but not building pressure.

4. jc@douglas

jc@douglas Junior Member
    from jersey

Well it is stuck down so I can't get it to the dealer as is. I wonder if snowdogg will just ship me a valve under warranty.

Thanks for the help guys, if anyone has any suggestions to try your welcome to add them.

I just called and left Jim in tech support a message, hope he calls me back and we get this squared away. I know it is under warranty but I would rather fix it myself then have to drop it off to be fixed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd guess a bad/improperly adjusted pressure relief valve. Not a bad idea to learn how to fix this unit yourself, it will save you trips to the dealer later.

You can always jack it up and short chain it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  6. jc@douglas

jc@douglas Junior Member
    from jersey

Good idea on short chaining it, i didn't even think of that.

I will see if snow dogg calls me back and if they will allow me to fix it myself under warranty, if not I will call the dealer I bought it from.

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

A couple of easy things to look at.
    1. The prop stand is out the way? (When you pull the jack out the prop stand should flip down)
    2. Is the plow harness damaged/crimped in away way? You're right about the SB valve (which does control lift).

Swap the ORANGE and GREEN WIRES
    Hit RIGHT and see if the plow lifts. (you've swapped the RIGHT and LIFT functions).
    If that works, the problem is in the plow side harness (99%) - perhaps damaged in shipping.
    If it doesn't the problem could be a stuck valve - but with the 3 blinks that doesn't seem very likely.

Sorry to hear about that - I'll be curious to hear what the problem was.

If this doesn't do it - call the hotline at 866-974-3644. Jim is out this week - and there a bunch of people on the hotline. We normally get all calls returned within 15 minutes.

8. jc@douglas

jc@douglas Junior Member
    from jersey

ok I will take a look and try doing some of that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the reply.

9. jc@douglas

jc@douglas Junior Member
    from jersey

ok as stupid as it sounds it looks like the prop stand was not swinging down because I plugged everything in and hooked the plow up tonight and everything works.

Does anyone have any pics of how they adjusted the length of the bolt with the nut into the prop? or how far the bolt should stick out of the prop?

If the prop is to long with the bolt in it I have trouble getting the jack in.

Thanks guys sorry for being such a noob :p