1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new MVP 8.5 Poly on 07 Silverado Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tras, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tras

tras Member

I bought a new MVP 8.5 poly V yesterday, installed everything and everything seemed to me good(i have installed numerious plows), when i go to turn on the controller it wont turn on, i checked for power at the plug and it has power. I checked and re checked all connections and everything is good, only thing on the plow that will work is the park lamps, no headlights or controller.

Is there something i could be over looking? I need to get this thing out of my shop. A 5 hour project turned into a two day project. :realmad::realmad:

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

were did you pick up switched power?

3. tras

tras Member

Spliced into the radio power wire under the dash, there is power all the way untill the controller connection but no power in the controller.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You have power at the controller, do you have ground? It picks up ground through the harness going behind the grill. You have the plow on the truck, with both plug connected?

5. tras

tras Member

Yes plow is hooked up with both plugs connected. I have power when i test light the connection between the wiring harness and the controller but no power in the controller itself.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you connect the heavy ground wires together at the lighting Iso module? It's a single wire/connector. One is black, one is black/orange tracer. It ties the plow lighting harness and truck light harnesses together.

7. tras

tras Member

Yeah its all connected.

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

How about the ground wires at the solenoid? Is the small red wire at the solenoid on the terminal with the battery wire?

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. tras

tras Member

Yeah everything is good.

I have been up and down every piece of literature they have, thats why this is making me so mad. Its not just a headlight problem, the controller not turning on is a hell of a lot bigger problem than just the lights not working. Nothing functions whatsoever,

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You never stated whether your red wire at the controller has FULL battery voltage (won't always when using the radio wire) or whether the black wire at the controller has good ground checking with a meter.

12. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

There is two 4-wire square connectors that can be interchanged, If they are match up wrong it won't work! Locate the two of them and switch them. See what happens!

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to have 12 volts between the red and black wire, as B&B said. You need to use a voltmeter, not a test light. If you do not have 12V between, check for voltage between the red and a good ground. Should be 12V. If that's OK, you're not picking ground through the harness.

3 or 4 port Iso module?