1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Brand New ExtremeV Problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Doakster, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I just finished the install on my brand new 08/09 extremeV. Everything seems to work fine, except the right wing is noticeably slower than the left wing.

When I go from full V to full scoop the right wing lags behind by about 10 inches. My guess it's got to me a valving issue. Any thoughts?

2. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Just try to use it alittle before you rip into it... might just be some air stuck inside the cylinder. It will blead itself but you will need to add fluid. Let me know what happens.

3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I figured that was the other possible issue, funny thing is got worse the more I used/cycled if. If I doesn't get much better I might try extending the right wind, cracking the extend side fitting on the cylinder then going back to retract and see if I can get any air out.

I know sluggishness is usually air, so I'll have to give it a chance.

Plus aren't the valves poppet valves? So they should be full open or full closed when energized, this should mean that it's less likely a valve problem.

4. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Where did you buy it/have it installed?

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

doakster's very smart, he did the install. :D

6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup did the install myself.

7. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, I tried my trouble shooting process today of bleeding down the cylinder on the right wing and checking for air, straight hydraulic fluid came out and not a spec of air. So now I really think it's a valve issue. Any other air should be out by now since I cycles it around 40 times. Here are some more operating characteristics.

Each individual Wing operates at the same speed when operating them seperately. This proves that the same amount of oil is getting to each wing and through each solenoid.

When going to Scoop the right wing lags behind by about 10 inches.

When going to V the right wind lags behind only by about 2-3 inches.

So to me this all points to a valve or a weak magnetic on a solenoid.

Looks like I'll be bringing it back to the dealer or at least giving them a call. We'll see what happens.

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

So I just go off the phone with my dealer and Fisher's Service Department. Apparently this is completely normal to have one wing slower than the other on a new blade.

Basically in talking with fisher, the hydraulic porting or flow paths are not the same and the fluid is going to take the path of least resistance of course, so right now my left wing is getting more oil. But this is 100% normal and the more I use it, it may get better.

And this is not an air related issue at all, it's just they hydraulics of the plow.

9. NorwayAuto&Plow

Makes sence.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The EZV's have been that way for years also. You didn't know that? :confused:

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A common issue in single pump dual cylinder systems.

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

It wouldn't be that way if the hydraulic block was designed accordingly. A single, dual or how ever many pumps are in a hydraulic system doesn't really matter, it's really about flow of fluid and where and when it's moving.

If the same hydraulic block on the plow was powered by two pumps the same situation would be present.

I commonly set up and install large hydraulic systems with monstrous double acting cylinders for work, and the majority of the pump systems are always off one pump, with a standby/backup pump ready to go if the flow is needed, the pump feeds solenoid operated poppet valves which in turn feed the cylinders. Same basic system as a plow.

I assumed the blocks and flow paths were all the same(which I now know are not) for each side of the plow, that's why I thought it was a valve issue.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

True, the valve body can be designed to provide proportionate application of pressure and flow. However it's very common for systems operating dual cylinders to have a unintentional "primary" and "secondary" cylinder. While they both top off at the same pressure one is faster to achieve it then the other. yes a dual pump system would behave the same way if both pumps powered the same valve body, as a opposed to individual pump and valve for each cylinder.

It's a design flaw but one that's prevalent.

14. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I see your logic now for individual pumps and valves for each cylinder, that makes more sense.

Buy I agree, it's a design flaw and something that it not that hard to design around if you know anything about hydraulics. I forget who fisher sources their pumps through but it would seem that they wouldn't stand for something like this either. Call me a perfectionist I guess.

I guess I'll be bumping the right wing up often to catch up with the left. I'm sure it will be second nature after awhile.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Personally with how fast the ExtremeV is, and unless when you saying one is slower by a major difference.. I really wouldn't worry about such difference at all if it takes one wing a second longer. Mind you it's new and to see that would seem odd. Best of luck with the Blade, We love ours.

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

By major difference I mean that the right is slower by about 10-12 inches, that's pretty major to me and probably won't make that much of a difference when I'm plowing, even it I don't even out the wing, like I said I'll get use to it.

18. NorwayAuto&Plow

I never really noticed the big 10-12 inch lag between the two wings before. Maybe its the oil that we use. Its bought locally and we've never had a problem with it.

The fisher stuff, however, we have had some wierd stuff happen. Such as the oil not displacing the water to the top... it hold the water in and then gells causing the filter to plug up and the blade to stop working. That was the clear fisher fluid though. We were turned off then so we never gave the blue oil a chance. JMO

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What Oil do you use?

20. NorwayAuto&Plow

Its from a company called boums oil. We get it by the barrel and pump it out into smaller containers.