1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

brand new extreme V ..graving the driveway???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Outd00r Maint.., Dec 7, 2009.

1. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

i decided to practice with are new plow extreme v today...and when i got out of the truck , i noticed this long line on the asphalt from the middle part of the plow,it latterly graved the asphalt...is this supposed to be like this??? the plow is brand new........will i have to grind the middle part on the plow?? or could it be the entrance is not strait, i doubt it..anyway i hope this will not happen in other driveways, customers will not be happy:dizzy:....

anyone know if this is a common problem?
  2. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

It sounds like ur plow mount is to high making the plow frame not parallel to the ground. The nose of the plow digs in and the edges dont touch at all. lower the bolts on the mount.
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I take it you had it in the V position during the pavement irrigation process? And exactly how much snow was on the ground during your...practice session? Is the ground frozen up there yet? I know it isn't here. I went out and plowed almost 6 inch this weekend and ended up grading a couple dirt roads at the same time.

The height adjustment that Jelinek is referring to is the 3 set of holes were the A frame meets the Headgear. Park on level ground and put the blade down in the STRAIGHT position. Now, if the A frame is level, your good. If it angled up or down then you need to adjust it to the appropriate hole to get it closest to level as possible.
  4. Outd00r Maint..

it happend when backing up,
    and to your questions
    no,about 2-3cm,guest to ground is not frozen
  5. Outd00r Maint..

sorry,im kind of a newbie to this...can you show me what should i adjust
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like the mount on the truck might be too high. Can you lower the cross beam? Sorry, I don't have this type of setup.

It could also b too much extra weight from the Pepsi can out front.
  7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldnt you be driving forward if your plow :p
    Or if you were backdragging, try it in straight blade position. Maybe it is the height of the a frame like others mentioned however.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You need to raise the plow when backing up. When back dragging, you should have it in straight mode. Have patients, there will be plenty of snow to play in soon. Try not to break that expensive toy before then!

Can't see them that great from the photo, but go stand behind the plow, and look were I pointed the arrows, you'll see 3 sets of holes on each side and a pin with a cotter pin holding them in place. Now when you check for level, make sure the truck is attached and the kick stand is all the way up, in other words, fully mount the plow.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. Outd00r Maint..

yes the plow was strait when i was back dragging

Great!,,thanks :drinkup:

i'll get on it.Tommorow
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I wish I had a BOSS, my wester has this same problem every year until the blade gets wore in.
  11. M&M

M&M Senior Member

You need to "adjust" those Pepsi cans into Bud Light can :laughing:!:drinkup:
  12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i thought you were crazy when i first read this.. well i went out last night to plow a friends driveway (first time with the new XV). there was about 2" of wet snow. I stopped there today in the daylight and my plow did the exact same thing yours did. scraped a line right in the concrete. this was backdragging in straight.. wasn't deep at all but still.. looks like the edges need worn in before i get to the money customers lol
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your owner's manual details the proper adjustment process - but in summary. Load the truck/ballast as you are normally setup for plowing. You need a flat surface like a garage floor or very flat paved driveway. With the plow in scoop, lower the blade as slowly as you can. It should hit the ground evenly. Wing tips should hit at the same time as the center section. Not only can you adjust with the three holes Ryan mentioned - green in my pic - there are two bolts on either side. Red arrows. They connect the push frame to the T-frame. The front bolt is a pivot, the rear is adjustable. These give a finer adjustment then the rear tab holes.

XV adjust.jpg

And watch these bolts. They WILL loosen up. The Fisher supplied Nylock nuts will not hold. I changed mine to longer bolts with double nuts. I've only plowed one storm this year so they are OK. If they give me any more trouble, I am switching to fine thread bolts, and double nuts. I might put a 1 inch bolt in the front if I need to. Unless you have a huge impact gun, get yourself the wrenches and/or 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar to tighten them.

XV adjust.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  14. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

how about LOCKTITE ????????
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You know, that's not a bad idea LOL. The only thing is that you will have to adjust those bolts as the cutting edge wears. So maybe some blue....